480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple months ago, I came across my old typewriter from high school. I had been looking for it rather half-heartedly, but was excited when I found it.

My excitement was short-lived, however, when I discovered that it was electric and needed a new ribbon. The electric part didn't thrill me (I thought it was a manual unit), but the ribbon was a real downer: I couldn't find one for it.

So off to Goodwill it went and I started to do some research for finding a great-quality, manual typewriter. My search ended when I purchased an Olympia SM9 from ebay. I was stoked. Not only was this one manual, but it had a wide carriage, was in great condition, came with the carry case (with a key, no less!),......... and was a rather rare bird with script keys (as opposed to block).

After ordering some ribbons the day after it arrived (it uses the standard spool-to-spool ribbon), I was in heaven. I even sat down a banged out several old-tyme letters to family and friends.

I had some time today to sit down and really give it a good bath. And as I was doing so, I marveled at the engineering that went into it, how rock-solid it is, and how it will probably still be usable a hundred years after I cease to draw breath on this plane.

I also began to look at it as a subject to aim my camera at. So, I mounted up my Tair 135/2.8 on a 32mm extension tube and began firing away. After some basic PP in NX2 to sharpen and adjust the curves, it was off to DxO Film Pak 3 to get a '70's-era look: Tri-X.

And the results:

Tab_8623%20post.jpg

Keyboard%201_8583%20post.jpg

Above%20the%20Platen_8589%20post.jpg

Margin%20Stop_8591%20post.jpg

Keyboard%202_8586%20post.jpg

Olympia_8593%20post.jpg

Keys%201_8610%20post.jpg

Under%20the%20Keys_8595%20post.jpg

Return%20Springs%201_8598%20post.jpg

Keys%202_8612%20post.jpg

De%20Luxe_8615%20post.jpg

Return%20Springs%202_8604%20post.jpg

Keys%203_8617%20post.jpg

Comments are welcome!

Nice set. Typewriters are so much fun. My dad bought me one when I was little to have as a play toy. He still has it and now my kids love it as well.

When I was finally old enough to start working, I was a receptionist for a Plastic Surgeon. He didn't have a computer in his office, all correspondence was written with a typewriter. And this was in 2004...

ahhhh ... the manual portable typewriter ... brings back a lot of memories ... Royal, Underwood, Olivetti.

PS- I enjoy the rich, solid blacks.

Last edited:
Some good solid B+W images.

A couple months ago, I came across my old typewriter from high school. I had been looking for it rather half-heartedly, but was excited when I found it.

My excitement was short-lived, however, when I discovered that it was electric and needed a new ribbon. The electric part didn't thrill me (I thought it was a manual unit), but the ribbon was a real downer: I couldn't find one for it.

So off to Goodwill it went and I started to do some research for finding a great-quality, manual typewriter. My search ended when I purchased an Olympia SM9 from ebay. I was stoked. Not only was this one manual, but it had a wide carriage, was in great condition, came with the carry case (with a key, no less!),......... and was a rather rare bird with script keys (as opposed to block).

After ordering some ribbons the day after it arrived (it uses the standard spool-to-spool ribbon), I was in heaven. I even sat down a banged out several old-tyme letters to family and friends.

I had some time today to sit down and really give it a good bath. And as I was doing so, I marveled at the engineering that went into it, how rock-solid it is, and how it will probably still be usable a hundred years after I cease to draw breath on this plane.

I also began to look at it as a subject to aim my camera at. So, I mounted up my Tair 135/2.8 on a 32mm extension tube and began firing away. After some basic PP in NX2 to sharpen and adjust the curves, it was off to DxO Film Pak 3 to get a '70's-era look: Tri-X.

And the results:

Tab_8623%20post.jpg

Keyboard%201_8583%20post.jpg

Above%20the%20Platen_8589%20post.jpg

Margin%20Stop_8591%20post.jpg

Keyboard%202_8586%20post.jpg

Olympia_8593%20post.jpg

Keys%201_8610%20post.jpg

Under%20the%20Keys_8595%20post.jpg

Return%20Springs%201_8598%20post.jpg

Keys%202_8612%20post.jpg

De%20Luxe_8615%20post.jpg

Return%20Springs%202_8604%20post.jpg

Keys%203_8617%20post.jpg

Comments are welcome!
Great photos of a great machine. I think I have the same one, but not in the condition of yours. Years ago, when I took it in for service, the typewriter maven offered to trade me an IBM Selectric for it. And it is in the Permanent Design Collection of the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.

Very nice set. My favorite of the bunch is 'Keys No 1'. Congrats on the purchase also!

I had looked at these on my phone a couple of times...but it evidently lost the impact completely at that size. Now that I'm looking on the computer, I just love the tones and the subtle processing in these. People usually go overboard with film simulation, but you nailed it here.

Nice, I can smell the machine from those photos.

I agree with tirediron that the shot looking up at the underside of the keys is very good, as are they all, but the first shot (TAB) is FAB!

Most reactions

Back