Off camera flash bracket.

Groupcaptainbonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Guys! Advice time again...

I want a flash bracket to use with a Canon EOS and a 580 EX. The Canon bracket looks worse than useless (Although I may be wrong about that). I have seen a Manfrotto 233B and heard tell of a wimberly F1. Although I know little about it.
Any suggestions?. Comments. or whatever.....?

Yes, the Canon one is all but useless.

The leader in this field is probably Stroboframe, they make many different models and all the parts and accessories that you could want.

You should decide whether you want one that just holds the flash up and off the camera...or if you want one that keeps the flash above the camera when in both landscape and portrait orientation.

If you want one that keeps the flash above the camera at all times, then there are two main types. There is the flip type, where the camera & bracket are rotated and then the arm with the flash flips over to be above the camera. The other type is camera-rotate. Just as it sounds, with this type, the flash stays still and the camera just rotates on a little lever.

Remember that you will also need the Canon Off-Shoe Cord II, which will connect the camera to the flash. These cords are not cheap and are known to fail, so if it's an important shoot, you may want to have two or three.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's the shoe or foot part that is structurally the weakest. I've heard that this little product can help...

Bogen / Manfrotto 3298 Nikon Flash Adapter - SC-17 - Foot with 1/4" Screw

This flash adapter converts a 1/4"-20 flash accessory into a shoe mount, and allows off-camera shoe cords like the Nikon SC-17, SC-28 & SC-29 to be mounted upon brackets that only feature a 1/4"-20 screw. It is also popular for use as a 'sacrificial' shoe mount to put under an off-camera cord which already has a shoe underneath, so that wear & tear occurs upon this piece as opposed to the more fragile and expensive cord itself.

i'm also interested in getting a flash bracket for indoor parties shooting.....do you mind sharing the model you got?.....which type is better?

It's not really a matter of which model is better....it's which will work the best for you. An Instructor of mine recommended the 'Press-T' or 'Pro-T' because the bracket is offset so that you can hold the camera just as you would if it didn't have a bracket.

...with my canon 550's, works great, sturdy, light weight, detachable easily. About $130 from B&H.

I ordered a Stroboframe Press T bracket, should be here soon, I'll let you know how it works.

Most reactions

Back