Off camera flash, for the poor, for me

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Peter_pan91, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Peter_pan91

Peter_pan91 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok, so here's the deal, i got my pentax k10d some time ago, all going great, but the thing is, winter is coming closer and i need a new toy for my boring rainy days, and, by coinsidence, i have been getting more and more interested in off camera flash ( who hasn't.. ). I did some of my homework ( yes i went on strobist.com ) and have come up with i set that would run me less than 80 euros..that means: The new vivitarHV, and a wireless radio trigger sistem both off ebay. my questions are:

Well, what do you think, am i going to be able to FEEL the POWER of strobing?

am i going to burn these cheapos out in two shot?

How reliable are these ebay china things?

Thanks,

Pete

Oh, and by the way, i don't have any money, guess you figured it out already thought

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. GwagDesigns

GwagDesigns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If your talking about the Cactus triggers, its fun ot use them, ive had hardly any problems with mine and its proven to be a pretty effective way of triggering my flash on my Ebay light stand with shoot through umbrella.

3. Peter_pan91

Peter_pan91 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok, i guess those are confirmed, thanks.

Any thoughts on the vivitar 285hv? i found the on amazon for 60 - 70$ish and they have got awesome reviews. Will i be able to use it/them with the cactus ?

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
  6. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Most DSLR's can handle up to 250V.

If you're using them for strictly off camera work, check out Vivitar 283's on Ebay. You can find them for about $35 USD.

7. sohel02

sohel02 TPF Noob!

the thing is, winter is coming closer and i need a new toy for my boring rainy days, and, by coinsidence, i have been getting more and more interested in off camera flash ( who hasn't.. ). I did some of my homework ( yes i went on strobist.com ) and have come up with i set that would run me less than 80 euros..that means:

8. Peter_pan91

Peter_pan91 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the kit usayit, but thing is, i have REALLY no money ( well, almost) so i was trying to spend around 100+ bucks.

I was thinking of the 285HV (the newer version that came out in 07 ) cause in has lower voltage and it can be used safely on digital cameras, and, although i plan on using the flash almost exclusevly off camera, you never know ( at that price i might consider the 283 though because i could get two.. ).

I guess that using the flash off camera means you don't have to worry about the voltage?

If so, lets say i were to use them only and strictly off camera, what would be the best manual-cheap-easyto find-reliable-down to earth-that's it flash out there?

Thanks for the help,

Pete