Off Camera Flash

Dionysus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there anything that can make it so the new flash i bought (canon speedlight 430 ex II) can be used off camera? wireless preferrably, but if its wired, if theres anything w/ a really long cord? seems like by reading the manual that my only option it to buy another ex flash, and running it as a slave to the main flash.

i'm a lighting ultra noob, so dont know what my options are.

3ft cord? man..thats rediculously short :p

Longer than that and I believe you must go wireless.

I think Canon offers a longer cord than the 3' version, but it's ridiculously expensive.

Besides a higher end EOS flash, Canon has a remote trigger unit. It used to be the ST-E2, but there may be a newer model?

The above options allow ETTL. There are lot's of other options that would require setting flash power manually.

There are all sorts of cheap flash shoe adapters and sync cords available.

Optical slaves.

Radio slaves: some of the newer models offer ETTL, some don't.

Check out strobist.com for lots of info.

I have a 420EX, and I just ordered the Gadget Infinity Cactus Wireless Flash Triggers (radio triggers). I haven't used them yet, but they talk about them on strobist.com (if you haven't looked at that site yet, check it out). Strobist 101 gives you a good idea for a simple setup to use off camera flash.

Is there anything that can make it so the new flash i bought (canon speedlight 430 ex II) can be used off camera? wireless preferrably, but if its wired, if theres anything w/ a really long cord? seems like by reading the manual that my only option it to buy another ex flash, and running it as a slave to the main flash.

i'm a lighting ultra noob, so dont know what my options are.

Cheap and unreliable
http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,514.htm

good for a beginner though.

I am a lighting beginner as well. I found this link in another thread and it seems to really explain how lighting works. May help you understand flash work more.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Not exactly an answer for you question but seems like something you would be interested in at some point.

Cheers!

ive been reading the strobist site for a couple days now, and though a lot of it is helpful, some of it is over my head until I gain exposure to it. has anyone tried that radio slave set that village idiot put up?

has anyone tried that radio slave set that village idiot put up?
I use them, and there are a few others around here as well.

I've found that they work really well indoors and fairly well outdoors. Make sure to get the newest one though, I think it's the V2s. I have an older one and it doesn't work with my 430EX (although it works well with other flash units and my studio lights). I also have a V2s that does work with my 430EX.

There are even some modifications that you can do to these triggers, to add a better antenna or to add a better battery option etc.

awesome, whats their max range about? i just need something so i can place the flash wherever i need it, since i really cant afford another flash unit. Any major problems with them?

There is a member here, JerryPH (I think). He uses them and tested them up to 300' without a problem. I believe he also has done some mods on them and had instructions on how to do the mods.

I'm not sure what the 'rated' range is though.

The thing is that they are cheap, so you can't really expect miracles, but they do work pretty well. If you are just playing around, you can't really go wrong. If you are using them for paid gigs, then I'd suggest getting something better, like Skyports or Pocket Wizards.

Keep in mind that with these radio trigger systems, you won't have automatic flash metering. You will need to set the flash power manually...or figure out the exposure settings on the camera manually. It's not hard to do, but can be confusing at first.

has anyone tried that radio slave set that village idiot put up?

Works for me too.... I like them.

JerryPH essentially added an internal antenna to increase the range. Look up the cactus wireless triggers on google. You'll find numerous people use them (inexpensive) and have modified them to improve range as well as battery.

I bought a little adapter that I hook onto my 430EX that has a plug in for a really long wire. (I think it's called a PC chord?) The wire I use is like 6 feet or something, and that's what I use to get my flash off camera. It's really a pain though..I wouldn't suggest what I did, unless you just want something really cheap.

Most reactions

Back