off camera flash

mengelman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't used flash for fill light before but I have a project coming up that I think I will need to. I have been searching the internet for info but I am not sure about it yet. Maybe someone here can help.
I know I need flash triggers and I am looking at the pocket wizard +3. I also know I need a meter at Sekonic L478 DR. One site said I could use about any flash with these but I need suggestions. My subjects will be in 10-12 foot range. Im not looking for the best flash units but want good quality. I also need to know if I need adaptors for my cameras. I have a Sony nex5 and nex 7.
Thank you

More information on the nature of your project would help, but in short, what you NEED are: Speedlights, (anything from a top-of-the-range manufacturer's unit to the cheapest 3rd party unit will do as long as you can manually control the output; modifiers (umbrellas, soft-boxes, beauty dish); stands; and triggers. The PW Plus III will work if you have a Sony adapter (Sony uses a non-standard hot-shoe), but you do NOT need to buy those. If you're going to be doing a lot of pro-level work, they're worth it, but if this is hobby-level, for-fun stuff, units such as those by Yongnuo will work just fine and save a LOT of $$$. As for the meter, it's nice, but NOT necessary, and if you do buy one, again, save $$$$ and buy an older, used one off of eBay -I have an ancient Minolta Flash V that I have used almost to death, but it keeps on working - it has all of the features that you NEED (and a lot more).

Starting with the adapter. Your Nex 7 has the Minolta/Sony iISO hot shoe. You can get adapters to use the standard ISO hot shoe flashes and radio triggers. The Nex 5 uses a different adapter. Ebay is a good source, but ordering from the Orient has long delivery times. You might find USA stock also. I prefer adapters that have a PC Sync connection similar to this: Sony Minolta Camera Hot Shoe Adapter for A100 A200 A230 A300 A330 NEX 7 | eBay

Flash, or speedlight. You will want a unit that has full manual capability. The Yongnuo YN560-II has good reviews, I have never tried one. Priced right for a new flash. I would probably order one if I were in the market for a new flash. You can use the Sony flashes and have wireless without radio triggers. Since I don't need or want TTL ECT. I use inexpensive universal radio triggers similar to: Dslrkit PT 08XT 8 Channels Wireless Radio Flash Trigger w Antenna w 3 Receiver | eBay

A flash meter is great addition, but not essential. Definitely cuts down on the setup time.

Light stands, light modifiers and reflectors are almost essential. Lots of information on the net and in books about lighting. Strobist has lots of info: Strobist

Phil

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No one has asked for a budget ?

Getting into lighting can be super expensive.

The project will be photographs of crews on oil drilling rigs mostly at the golden hour with sunset or scenery in the background. The lighting on the rigs is usually metal halide, im guessing in the daylight range but I can look it up. Im thinking I will need 2 fill lights one on each side of subjects and possibly slightly less power on one side. Does it sound like Im on the right track?
This project will be ongoing for at least a year. I expect it will be profitable and will spend what I have to do a good job.

Last edited:
In that sort of an environment, I would look for an alternative to the Nex; they're great cameras, but IMO, far too fragile for industrial type work. Consider looking around for a used D300, D700 or Canon equivalent. Depending on the area you need to light and the desired style of the image, a couple of speedlights might do, or you may need multiple studio lights and power packs.

Doesn't sound like using normal modifiers (beauty dish, umbrellas, stands, etc) on a windy oil rig might not be a good match for the project ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back