Off we go, into the wild blue yonder ...

LWW

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going through my HD files and organizing photos and decided why not share some of my favorite pictures witht he forum.

Living next to to a USAF base has it's benefits.

This is a recreation of the original wright flyer and was flown over the Huffman prairie where the Wrights did much of their testing after Kitty Hawk and was home to the world's first flight school.

WrightFlyerSml001.jpg

LWW

These are from various years at an event known as the "DAWN PATROLL WWI FLY IN".

The bottom 2 are the "RED BARON" in a recreation of his dealy Fokker Eindecker and his more famous triplane ... with guard to make sure no Americanisher schweinhund spy steals it.

FrenchBiPlaneSml001.jpg

BritishBiPlaneSml001.jpg

EindeckerSml001.jpg

LWW

RedBaronSml001.jpg

Last edited:
A German ME262 and a Mitsubishi Zero.

If I hadn't mentioned the National USAF Museum is also located here.

ME262001Sml.jpg

ZEROSml001.jpg

LWW

Last edited:
WWII and Cold War planes such as an F86, F16, B1,
and Fii1 Nighthawk.
F86SabreJetSml.jpg

F16FalconSml001.jpg

B1B001Sml.jpg

F117002Sml.jpg

F117-001Sml.jpg

LWW

Last edited:
More recent iron such as the B2 Spirit and F22 Raptor.

B2Spirit001Sml.jpg

F22Raptor001Sml.jpg

LWW

Last edited:
Here is the winner of the X PRIZE, White Knight and Space Ship One on their final voyage to the Smithsonian in DC.

WhiteKnightSpaceShipOne001.jpg

LWW

Last edited:
And George's magic carpet.

AirForceOneSml001.jpg

LWW

Last edited:
Living next to to a USAF base has it's benefits.

This is a recreation of the original wright flyer and was flown over the Huffman prairie where the Wrights did much of their testing after Kitty Hawk and was home to the world's first flight school.

A fellow Dayton-ite. I love living here, especially with the USAF museum just down the road. Just to think, we are living right next to the world's very first airport...I was just down around Huffman on the motorcycle yesterday.

I love hitting the Dawn Patrol as well. I fly RC planes & helis, and I love to see the WWI RC planes that those guys build. Many hundreds of hours into some of those.

I was working at Greene Co airport a few years back when a guy landed his two-seat Jenny trainer there on the way to the Dawn Patrol. I got to talking with him, which led to a ride.....:mrgreen:

As I ramble....very nice pics.

Awesome collection! I love the ME262 and the 117 with the flag. I'm jealous! We used to have an awesome air show here before they closed the airbase, so i don't get to see many of these in person anymore.

How did you get that shot of the B2? Looks like you were pretty high up.

There is a spot called the Huffman Prairies bluff which overlooks Huffman Prairie and Wright-Patterson AFB.

There is also a WWII observation tower recreation outside the USAF Museum.

Some of these were taken as planes planes arrived to the museum but hadn't been taken inside and some others when the museum was being renovated and planes would be rotated outside temporarily.

LWW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back