offer/Plee

omalley said:
As far as copyright theft/ image theft is concerned, there's a little trick you should know about. I use it on my site. It's a javascript which disables the right-click feature. What happens is, when someone tries to right-click on a photo so they can save it on their hard drive, a message box pops up. You can make this box contain whatever text you want. Mine says simply "copyright protected". I have seen other sites where it says "sorry, right-clicking not allowed". You should do this. I'll send you the code if you like.
A few problems with that. Anyone can view your source and get the url to your image through that. If you're viewing just the image there's no code to stop the right click. Normally you view the source by clicking "view" in the top menu of your browser and selecting "source".
And there is always the "print screen" button.

It's a shame to say it, but once your image is viewable it's able to be stolen. You do have the option of making it not worth the effort though. Make it pretty small or a lower quality.

It's so so easy to steal an image it isn't worth worrying about, you know? Just do your best to stop people wanting to steal it.

FWIW I still think the key focus of the discussion at this stage should be on developing a viable buisness model, rather then the technical side. We obviously have a lot of people with great technical ability, so I'm sure they will be able to overcome any challenges that we identify along the way.

In terms of the model, it is clear that we have a site here full of tallented photographers who would be all to willing to sell their goods online. So that's half the problem solved.

What I'm less clear about is:
1) who our customers will be
2) how they will find this site/we find them
3) whether customers actually pay decent money for photograps online.

I hope you don't mind me butting in.. but...

In answer to the question about whether people actually pay decent money for photographs online - i'm pretty sure they do: DA sells prints of people's work and they seem to do extremely well. But It depends on the size - they offer poster size, signed (obviously more expensive). different quality paper. I can ask around some friends who sell their work directly from their site and see what sort of feedback they have.

As for advertising *evil grin* (i want to get into a the radio side of advertising if i don't get on air). there's many many many ways to get the word out there about the site there's banner ads (you could take donations from the members with photo's on the site - or from anyone who visits the site to cover the cost), there's word of mouth, people posting in the link in their blogs/groups of similar nature, there's people's personal websites - create a banner to place on your site saying "if you want to buy some of my prints visit this site". Obviously tv and radio ads probably wouldn't work in this case (besides the fact they can get expensive). Make up your own business cards with the link to the site and hand them out.

I also have some outragous ways to advertise: print a poster (just like a normal A4 size piece of paper) with a funky design on it and only the website address and post it around your town or area (in legal places of course :p curiousity is a pain in the butt lol) , or having your own tshirt printed up with the site address, contacting your local newspaper and having a press release made up about what a wonderful site this is for photographers around the world to showcase their work - support unknown artists or something like that. Don't worry I have a more ideas where those came from.

Incase you can't tell I love this sort of thing so if you're in need of someone to help in this area i could give it a go (i currently have a lot of spare time).

You could consider selling advertising on the site (in small doses - too many ads gets frustrating)... that will also help with paying general upkeep of the site etc.

One question: is the universal price that each piece will be in (or will you do it that each person prices the work in the currency of where they're living?)

Hey, this whole thing is a great idea! I've thought of something too. Maybe when its all up and running, create a button link or something like that, for people who have their own photo websites, to help spread the word.

lilithvalentine said:
I hope you don't mind me butting in.. but...

In answer to the question about whether people actually pay decent money for photographs online - i'm pretty sure they do: DA sells prints of people's work and they seem to do extremely well. But It depends on the size - they offer poster size, signed (obviously more expensive). different quality paper. I can ask around some friends who sell their work directly from their site and see what sort of feedback they have.

As for advertising *evil grin* (i want to get into a the radio side of advertising if i don't get on air). there's many many many ways to get the word out there about the site there's banner ads (you could take donations from the members with photo's on the site - or from anyone who visits the site to cover the cost), there's word of mouth, people posting in the link in their blogs/groups of similar nature, there's people's personal websites - create a banner to place on your site saying "if you want to buy some of my prints visit this site". Obviously tv and radio ads probably wouldn't work in this case (besides the fact they can get expensive). Make up your own business cards with the link to the site and hand them out.

I also have some outragous ways to advertise: print a poster (just like a normal A4 size piece of paper) with a funky design on it and only the website address and post it around your town or area (in legal places of course :p curiousity is a pain in the butt lol) , or having your own tshirt printed up with the site address, contacting your local newspaper and having a press release made up about what a wonderful site this is for photographers around the world to showcase their work - support unknown artists or something like that. Don't worry I have a more ideas where those came from.

Incase you can't tell I love this sort of thing so if you're in need of someone to help in this area i could give it a go (i currently have a lot of spare time).

You could consider selling advertising on the site (in small doses - too many ads gets frustrating)... that will also help with paying general upkeep of the site etc.

One question: is the universal price that each piece will be in (or will you do it that each person prices the work in the currency of where they're living?)

Thats great help, and dont worry it aint butting in, and please, if you want to help, im gonna hunt down chase and make him add everyone to the secret forum and ill add you aswell, we need someone in this field.

As for your last question, it will be decided by the photographer...

Vixenta, thank you for your idea and ill try and get you added to the secret forum if you so wish it...

If its not too much of a big deal. Sure, why not :D

Artemis said:
Thats great help, and dont worry it aint butting in, and please, if you want to help, im gonna hunt down chase and make him add everyone to the secret forum and ill add you aswell, we need someone in this field.

As for your last question, it will be decided by the photographer...QUOTE]

Thats fine I don't mind helping at all - like I said i've got a lot of free time at this point in time and creative things like that are a big passion of mine. I occasionally have rather odd and wacky ideas - so from time to time i get a bit too creative lol i'll try to behave myself.

I can't see the secret forum :(

feel free to pm me anytime or email me at [email protected]

Most reactions

Back