Offered to have 4 photos made into 'tourist' postcards

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by NancyMoranG, Apr 18, 2016.

1. NancyMoranG

NancyMoranG Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I hate to even be posting in the pro section, but thought you could help.
    My volunteer job has asked if I wanted to supply 4 + photo postcards. I would print at my cost and they will buy 500 each at .25.
    Obviously not going to get rich, but she would like notecards and small enlargements at some point.
    I have tried a local printer as I like the extra help / support by small business people.
    They haven't been overly helpful or guiding. I have stated it is my 1st project and look for their guidance.
    Anyway, now I think if it's not difficult, just go online. I read a lot of horror stories though.

Any suggestion to a good company to use?

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If local isn't an option, how about Vistaprint?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A local printer might not be the best bet, odds are good they'd consider this to be too small of a run to really want to get involved in it.

Not sure what "local" is for you, but if you want to stay local you can always look at some of the office places like Staples, they'll print postcards. If you'd like a bit lower cost options, as John suggested Vistaprint might be a good option as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    VistaPrint is an option, though recently when I just did a postcard exchange with some folks on another forum, I used a company called Moo. (Custom Business Cards, Flyers, and more | MOO (United States)) I really liked the quality.

(Edit: I just checked, and I have one of those "refer a friend and you both get discounts" kind of a coupon, so if you do decide to go with them, PM me with an email address and I'll forward the coupon.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've used MOO for business cards as well and have loved their product / costs so far. Never did check postcards though.

6. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Vistaprint's awful (saying they're persistent is saying it nicely). I'd think about staying local, especially if they will want future projects done. Maybe let them know what it's for and what else the nonprofit is considering so the printer realizes you may have future business for them.

But if local's not good, there's so much crap online, if you go that direction I'd do a small/low expense to start and see how it goes.

I don't know what's in your area, maybe keep looking for any other printers, or is there a college anywhere around that may have a printer in town? Any community art center that may have some resources?

Or maybe ask here what you need help with to get started so you're better informed going in to a printer about what you need done.

7. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The one you received from me was Vista print I thought they looked ok

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

8. Watchful

Watchful No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In the printing industry, Vistaprint is the worst of the terribly bad. Use Shutterfly, print them yourself, do anything but please don't use Vistaprint.

List of postcard printing services.

9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting; I'm a little surprised to see so much anti-Vistaprint commentary. I've had a number of jobs done there, rack cards, discount coupons, etc, so nothing where image quality counts, but the service has been quick, the prices good and the quality commensurate with the other two factors. What is about them that people dislike?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With Vistaprint I didn't mean quality so much as service/professionalism, beyond persistent/obnoxious or whatever you'd call it. I want good quality in product and service. Maybe some people have had better experiences. I've seen Shutterfly note cards, to me what I saw looked comparable to home printing more than professionally done, but maybe it depends on what you're having made. I've had digital 4x6s printed thru The Darkroom (San Clemente) from color film negs and I was pleased with those.

I've been printing my own mostly, except for a print done thru a gallery. Or there's a print shop in a college town near me I've used before. But there are options in my area, and I've found if it's something you'd use again a local contact can be a help sometimes.

11. Watchful

Watchful No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a couple things:

To be fair, they do have a good BBB rating, however those that are in the industry would not have been so kind to them in reviewing their work. It is not what a printer would call 'top notch work', it is however cheap, so you need to know your priority.

12. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Which one? One year I sent a card with a color collage of a tree. That was Vistaprint. They were okay. This past year, I sent a card with one of four different black and white shots from Maine. That one was Moo. I think you got the black and white one, no?