Official Release of Presidential Portrait

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The official presidential portrait of Barrack Obama has been released. Taken by the new official White House photographer Pete Souza. Holy cow it's sharp. It is also the first presidential portrait taken with a digital camera.

What do you think of the portrait in and of itself?

New official portrait released | Change.gov: The Obama-Biden Transition Team

PLEASE CHECK YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS AT THE DOOR.

My eye, keeps getting drawn to the flag, and find it is a distraction. Maybe they can photoshop that out. The one shoulder is cut off, and maybe they should try another model or give this one lessons. :er:
Do you think they give this photographer a hassle....? Like the FBI questions him for shooting in the whitehouse. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

.......kidding. Fine shot. :thumbup:

Meh, needs shallower DOF, and hasn't the guy ever heard of the Rule of Thirds?

Also, "he should play with Curves." </tip of the hat to Max Bloom>

If Obama was really cool he'd have a Holga portrait.

It may just be the size of the one posted on the site, but the flag lapel pin bugs my eyes and not just because it's crooked. But overall it is one of the better photos I've seen of him.

It is good... overall "presidential"

Too much space above his head

I don't like the two flags in the background. The American flag alone would be fine. The presidential flag behind breaks the simplicity

The "fuzzy" thing at the top of the presidential flag is distracting.

I'm not too keen on the blue tie on blue shirt ensemble. I think a gold or silver lapel (eagle perhaps) would have been better.

I'm surprised the photographer was using a 5dm2 i figured he would have 1d or something like that, still this is a pretty big deal, first digital presidential portrait

From a portrait point-of-view, lighting was poorly handled with only available light. Cross lighting as well is not flattering to anyone. A reflector or front light to flatten things out and put less emphasis on the skin texture would have been much better. A three quarter shot de-emphasizing the ears would have been more flattering as well.

My expectation would be for a more professional looking portrait by someone who really knows the field, has lots of experience and demonstrates both in his/her work. That is not my impression of this photo.

skieur

I'm surprised the photographer was using a 5dm2 i figured he would have 1d or something like that, still this is a pretty big deal, first digital presidential portrait

The professional journalist that I purchased my 1d MII from went to a 5D. He explained that the camera fit his needs better and the size/weight savings was an added bonus. I wouldn't be surprise if professionals at this caliber obsess over their work more than their equipment.

The 5Dm2 is aimed squarely at people doing this kind of portraiture, I think.

Absolutely stunning work. Powerful and proud. I have to agree with the 100's of articles already posted; the eyes have it. Souza and Obama have some ground breaking work ahead of them. The media and specifically photography will be a strong part of our new presidents platform. Very proud of both men. The best is yet to come!

I think it is cute that TPFers critiqued the photo. Big up!

Love & Bass

I'm looking forward to more.

Most reactions

Back