Officially announced-Nikon is working on a new mirrorless camera

My iPhone is mirrorless. I'm happy with it.
and you can make a phone call with it !!
Yeah, but when I bought my iPhone, I got all this pressure to add a UV filter, a neck strap, a cheap tripod, some lens cleaning tissues, and an extended warranty, which was a bummer. ;)

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure that it doesn't matter to most whether there is a mirror or not as long as it does it's jobs well.

Fx mirror less for example has only a small size advantage over a Dslr, but if the tracking focus was equal, you can seem to push limits like FPS further, along with the advantage of current mirrorless systems have with ease of video recording.

Anything electronic that has less moving parts is often more reliable in the long run.

Think of Nikon FX mirrorless now, interface that Nikon users familiar with, f mount, faster electronic shutter, no vibration at any shutter speed, no blackout when shooting, a bit like the new Sony a9, but Nikons take on it. If it's f mount and dies continuous focus, the upgrade path is seamless

I'm fairly sure that it doesn't matter to most whether there is a mirror or not as long as it does it's jobs well.

Fx mirror less for example has only a small size advantage over a Dslr, but if the tracking focus was equal, you can seem to push limits like FPS further, along with the advantage of current mirrorless systems have with ease of video recording.

Anything electronic that has less moving parts is often more reliable in the long run.

Think of Nikon FX mirrorless now, interface that Nikon users familiar with, f mount, faster electronic shutter, no vibration at any shutter speed, no blackout when shooting, a bit like the new Sony a9, but Nikons take on it. If it's f mount and dies continuous focus, the upgrade path is seamless
I think that the mirrorless EVF 'seeing' your image in the viewfinder could be a compositional game changer for me. For instance, If I set the camera to b/w, I won't have to transpose in my head what the captured image will look like- it'll be right there before I snap. Very nice.

I think that the mirrorless EVF 'seeing' your image in the viewfinder could be a compositional game changer for me. For instance, If I set the camera to b/w, I won't have to transpose in my head what the captured image will look like- it'll be right there before I snap. Very nice.
I forgot about the EVF. The things are so good now it didn't even enter my head. The EVFs were one of the things frowned upon with the arrival of DSLR alternatives, not so much now

Peeb said:

YES, for some people, this is the way they feel they shoot the best--literally "seeing the image" as the camera interprets it, from the LCD display on the back, or through a viewfiner window that shows the LCD image internally.

Kirk Tuck, a seasoned professional, really,really likes this, and now shoots mirrorless smaller camerras for much of his commerical work. AND he does pro-level video with this gear too.

For other people, the slower refresh rate of even the best LCD displays, is not rapid enough for high-speed action work (sports,wildlife,motorsports, etc). And the battery drain issue of LCD viewing/compising: that issue of an always-draining-juice-just-to-see-the-picture system....ehhhh...

Of course....there could also be a simple optical viewfinder window on fixed-lens cameras, for a Leica-style window-with-changing-framelines for like a 28-35-50-85mm rangefinder-style mirrorless....man! Or separate, bright-line optical show-mount viewfinders, like the Voigtlander viewfinders, for primes.

But the issue with so many current Nikkor prime lenses is how large they are: the barrels would block the viewfinder on any small camera...rangefinder lenses tend to be very small, so the do not block the peephole viewfinder at all, or at least not too much. Today's Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G with hood is a BIG, fat lens! Older 50's, not so much. Same with today's 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G...veryt fat-barreled, compared to say the 85/2 Ai-S, which is small.

I want a mirrorless that works like a film camera or rangefinder, has good glass, good viewfinder, well built, and can be customizable to virtually do everything looking through the viewfinder.... I have that, the Fujifilm X-T2 and X-Pro2. My only gripe with it , is battery life, and the position of the AE-L button.
The batteries are small. Put one in your pocket. I still shoot about the same number of images that I did in the film days. I don't want to spend the time going through 100s of them. I don't bracket. I don't use continuous mode. I think the exposure through and then make it. For images that are moving I just don't think it through. I can shoot a couple of days on a single Fuji battery.

I forgot about the EVF. The things are so good now it didn't even enter my head. The EVFs were one of the things frowned upon with the arrival of DSLR alternatives, not so much now

The EVF is not an issue at all with the Fuji system. You can set the camera such that the EVF is turned off until you put your eye up to it. It senses the eye and lights the EVF.

I want a mirrorless that works like a film camera or rangefinder, has good glass, good viewfinder, well built, and can be customizable to virtually do everything looking through the viewfinder.... I have that, the Fujifilm X-T2 and X-Pro2. My only gripe with it , is battery life, and the position of the AE-L button.
The batteries are small. Put one in your pocket. I still shoot about the same number of images that I did in the film days. I don't want to spend the time going through 100s of them. I don't bracket. I don't use continuous mode. I think the exposure through and then make it. For images that are moving I just don't think it through. I can shoot a couple of days on a single Fuji battery.
It's not a big deal, I was just saying. I manage it just fine.

I could care less about mirrorless until it can outperform a DSLR for how I shoot.. Even the slightest lag in an EVF would be a deal killer for me...

I could care less about mirrorless until it can outperform a DSLR for how I shoot.. Even the slightest lag in an EVF would be a deal killer for me...

You can also set the camera such that the EVF is always on. Your choice.

Yup, that's where the D500 or the like shine. The XT2 is pretty good in boost mode but in reality, the camera will never perform as you are accustomed too. The XT2 can do it but it is not the tool for the job. Additionally, Fuji don't have the primes Nikon or Canon have. I love my XT2 and I think it's a great all around camera but guys like you would bin it within an hour.

Last edited:
The EM1 MKII EVF has a fast 6ms delay and 120hz refresh rate. It is very smooth and I am not noticing any lag. Not having used a DSLR for BIF's I can't compare but other are saying that they are not experiencing any lag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back