oh... hm... I need a bit of encouragement ...

first, I'll quote myself from a previous post and then explain why I'm late to reply to you all

(my eyes hurt a lot, can't look at the monitor, have to go home to take out my contacts but I have two meetings I have to attend in a few minutes :()
so... I had some troubles with my eyes, couldn't use computer, and after a few days I went in another state and had laser eye surgery. Recovery was longer than expected and that's why I couldn't post till now.

anyway... I'm going to say a thing or two now :)

I just wanted to say this is a great thread and thank you for posting and responding everyone!
why this is a great thread?

Because you came to the group open and honest with a real concern and put yourself in a very venerable position. That in-itself is extraordinary but this community rallied around you with open and honest feedback offering useful suggestions and perspective to you. This goes far beyond was my shutter speed too fast to the very human side of this art form that is rarely revealed or discussed. Of course it is helpful that you are an extraordinary artist but still this thread is what community is all about. I would like to suggest that the response and feed back on your work in this community is no less valid, critical or useful than any you would get from this group you want to exhibit at.
this is really nicely said charchri and I truly appreciate the help I got from everyone

I know I don't say much here and I should....

mmaria your work is lovely, but, I will not suggest which image deserves to get printed.

You need to print the one that speaks to you, the image that draws you back and gives 'you' an emotional reaction....

That way when you speak about it, the words will be yours and not given from outside, but spoken from your heart.

You are developing your own style ...I see it each time you show an image.

You are a photographer and let no one tell you differently.
At first I was :( that you didn't suggest anything but then I simply understood what are you trying to say and I did some thinking about it.
It helped me a lot because I realized that I could stand in front of every one of my picture and said something from the bottom of my heart... but I don't have an emotional reaction on every picture of course (and it won't be that easy in real life of course, but I'll try)

ty and ty for letting me know the picture :)

Do you need to produce series ?
If so, you should definitively print the old person serie. It's my favorite.
15227310837_b6e028a843_m.jpg

And you could also do a serie with those photos, they are consistant, beautiful and poetic.

Don't worry, you're a great artist, a great photographer and the day you will stop wondering, questionning yourself and putting your work in perspective, you will stop learning and you will stop growing, so insecurity is a good thing. It makes you want to be better, to do good, it can bring the best of you, in the end, it's fuel ;)

20276382793_387fed9520_m.jpg

18957461789_8ef75e0a1d_m.jpg

18641250924_8b069d80ca_m.jpg
I don't need to produce series.

Everything you said is true about insecurity... but I've never been so insecure that it could be called as "panic attack" :)

thank you cauzimme for your suggestions, for your encouraging words and the tone of your post :icon_hug:

Dude...my most popular picture on Flickr is a shoe. It hit somewhere int the top 10 on Explore and has a crazy amount of views, faves, etc...

It's a fricking old shoe laying on a sidewalk I snapped jokingly with an off camera flash when walking along with some photographer friends one day. People will praise the dumbest stuff, so whatever you put time and effort into has got to be way better than that shoe.
oh LOL that's great

ty

Your work is good enough to show to anyone out there, and if they don't think you have skill or should not continue, then they are egotistical idiots that aren't worth your time!
As long as YOU like your photos that is all that really matters! :hugsalot:
awwwwww ty!
:icon_hug:

Okay, I went to their website and went through the catalogs they had for 2012-2014. I think some of the entries in there are simply extraordinary, while some others are pretty ordinary. I think I agree with what village idiot said, People will praise the dumbest stuff and ignore the greatest of art, so don't heed to everyone who has an opinion (except mine of course :p).

As for you work, it has improved leaps and bounds in the past one year. You are incredibly good at what you do, and some of your photographs are definitely better than some I saw in the catalogs. To even think for a second that you'd give up on photography because of someone else's opinion is unacceptable.

Having said that, I think it's a natural cycle for everyone to go through the imposter syndrome once they've reached a certain level in their skillset. It's kind of the reverse of the Dunning Kruger effect, you are grossly underestimating your skills and are thus demoralizing yourself. There have been times when, upon seeing some of the masterclass work, I've pondered why I'm into photography at all when I have no chance to match their level of skill. I'm sure you'll get back to your feet in no time like I do after a couple of days of sulking! :chuncky:

I do agree with John about printing your images, but also think binga63, a.k.a Chris, has a point as well. I'll list out the images I like the best from your work, and you choose which are the ones that you like best.

15227310837_b6e028a843_m.jpg

14898169375_c3598f25ba.jpg

19111290605_d7937898c6.jpg

18641250924_8b069d80ca.jpg

And of course my personal fav for a very different reason :love-struck:

20343903996_3d703021d4.jpg
awww Raj! thank you for everything you said...

I wish I could give you a better response but I'm just awwww

thank you :icon_hug::icon_hug::icon_hug:

598416_463420447019128_1682100908_n.jpg

You can do it!

Dude...my most popular picture on Flickr is a shoe. It hit somewhere int the top 10 on Explore and has a crazy amount of views, faves, etc...

It's a fricking old shoe laying on a sidewalk I snapped jokingly with an off camera flash when walking along with some photographer friends one day. People will praise the dumbest stuff, so whatever you put time and effort into has got to be way better than that shoe.
Because that photo has sole .. or soul ... :)

Which is what mmaria's photos convey. they're not just snapshots they convey some feeling or emotion out of the viewer. I don't think you'll have a problem with other photographers.

Because that photo has sole .. or soul ... :)

Which is what mmaria's photos convey. they're not just snapshots they convey some feeling or emotion out of the viewer. I don't think you'll have a problem with other photographers.
awwwww

funny and very nice... ty for saying this :icon_hug:

Most reactions

Back