Oh no..? Yep, I've done it...

I also suggested going to custom function and lock the flash to 1/200-1/60 on the aperture mode.

If you set it to TV, the camera will always choose f/2.8 if you are using the 24-70mm in that light condition right?

Forget about using manual especially if you are still really new with flash. I would use TV mode and set it to 1/60 shutter speed. Set the ISO to 400. Use your flash on E-TTL mode if you have external flash. If you dont , then use your built in flash. Use the 1/60 shutter speed only when your subject arent really moving (standing at the altar). If they start to move around, change it to 1/200.

By doing that, you only have to worry about 1 thing, shutter speed. Dont use the P mode, your shutterspeed will be too slow at most scenarios.

If it's in TV, the aperture is going to fluctuate. Better to set it for manual and be able to adjust what you need to on the fly and let your flash do the rest of the work.

This is 2 weeks away. So far it's been a decent nightmare. The bride doesn't want to do wedding portraits before the wedding she just wants one on the day of the wedding. *eye roll* I explained to her that her nervousness and stuff will come through to the pictures. She's not all that interested in pictures of her (or, oddly, the ceremony itself, some of the older relatives that she never gets to see).... And it's at 3pm and pics will be done outside with little shade. :lmao: Also, I got an email from her yesterday stating that her phone is disconnected, but "everything is still on". Bride #2 called me and let me know she's going to meet with me Wednesday and bring the $$. I'm skeptical. I'll just be glad when this is all over.

Do you have any suggestions if I get the Canon 24-70 f2.8?

Don't. Buy a speedlight. Bounce it from the ceiling. A speedlight will improve your chances of getting a better photo a 100 times more than the 24-70 f/2.8 on your camera.

^^^

This. The 24-70 is a great lens, but it won't really help all that much in capturing these shots without blur. Camera shake is somewhat irrelevant because in order to stop motion blur (from the subjects) you're going to need a shutter speed of at least 1/60s but probably higher than 1/100s. Even slight movements are noticed easily.

The best thing you can do is to get a flash unit. The Canon 430EX II is a fantastic flash with great range, very quick recharge, and complete ETTL2 system. Bouncing the light off of the ceiling (assuming the entire thing is white) would make it *easy* to capture stopped-motion shots and would light the entire shot much better. As it stands, unless you're shooting at ISO400, f/2.8, and 1/50 or slower...it'll be underexposed. At those settings, the motion of the subjects would still be a problem...which makes the shots nearly useless.

Now, if you could somehow get them to turn up the lights in the sanctuary (some brighter side lights or something) then I'd recommend getting a 70-200 for the ceremony. The f/4 non-is version is really cheap (to rent or buy) and combined with slightly better lighting (or a dedicated flash unit) will serve you *VERY* well for weddings. The range of the zoom and image quality of the lens are great for this type of thing.

I dont know if this will help at all, but have a look through this set Vause Family wedding pics

This is my brother in laws wedding I shot as a guest (ie: not the offical photographer), they are all shot with the 50 1.8 except the first image, the inside of the church ones were all shot with no flash, I was in the 2nd to front row so couldnt exactly move about, lol. From memory they were at 1600 ISO, noise handled post.

The rest were either natural light or external flash on camera with a free homemade diffuser (liquid hand soap bottle), that got some comments, lol.

I have never bounced flash, but I was thinking that because the ceiling is only like a foot and a half or so over my head (very low) that bouncing it wouldn't work?...

Robnz, I have NO windows in the church. Isn't that weird... ? Ugh. Was it a clear handsoap bottle? I have those! ;)

Your pics look great! Maybe I'll

I have never bounced flash, but I was thinking that because the ceiling is only like a foot and a half or so over my head (very low) that bouncing it wouldn't work?...

Robnz, I have NO windows in the church. Isn't that weird... ? Ugh. Was it a clear handsoap bottle? I have those! ;)

Your pics look great! Maybe I'll

Others will be better to advise you regarding low ceiling height, as I am a noob when it comes to handing out strobe theory, in practice where I have time, I play around until it looks right, so as others have said, go back and experiment beforehand is all I can offer.

No not clear, its white, maybe with an opacity of about 30%, similar to a plastic milk bottle.

Well, this is about a week away. Exciting, sure. Nervous, not really. I finally got the deposit and it cleared. :D I guess I'll just wing it and see how it goes! Wish me luck!

Tomorrow Tomorrow! I love ya... Tomorrow!

Actually... Blah!

No windows in the church and it's supposed to rain, no OCF for me. Wow. Gonna be interesting.

It was really weird but it went okay considering my hinderances. I will post some pics later today as I start the editing process.

Most reactions

Back