Oh no....

Gee, Bitter, that was helpful, lol.

I thought it was the best advice you could have gotten....

The person already knows not to expect anything... she just wants a few pictures taken and is willing to pay for it. The only thing limiting you here is you.... Have fun with the shoot... you have nothing to worry about. You don't even know this person so if the pictures turn out like crap... you'll never have to see her again.

You don't even know this person so if the pictures turn out like crap... you'll never have to see her again.

No. I'm not a perfectionist but I won't do crap. If they all turn out crappy shell get a refund. Most of my pictures turn out decent at worst. I am confident in that. I don't think shell be disappointed in that. I actually think ill be able to really please her because she has a very clear understanding of my inexperience especially in weddings. I need help with the business side of things. If someone has suggests starting settings I would love to cut some time off my experimenting time.

Really I can't stand the thought of giving her craptastic pictures so I won't. I am going to take my time and give her the absolute best I can. It may not be "pro" work but it will be better than her family could give her...

Thank you for your reply!

Good luck! I'm sure you will do fine!

You don't even know this person so if the pictures turn out like crap... you'll never have to see her again.

No. I'm not a perfectionist but I won't do crap. If they all turn out crappy shell get a refund. Most of my pictures turn out decent at worst. I am confident in that. I don't think shell be disappointed in that. I actually think ill be able to really please her because she has a very clear understanding of my inexperience especially in weddings. I need help with the business side of things. If someone has suggests starting settings I would love to cut some time off my experimenting time.

Really I can't stand the thought of giving her craptastic pictures so I won't. I am going to take my time and give her the absolute best I can. It may not be "pro" work but it will be better than her family could give her...

Thank you for your reply!

You are thinking WAYYYYYYY too much about this. What if she had called you and asked you to do it for free? What would you do differently?

I'm sure the answer is "nothing other than worry less about it". Bitter Jewler hit the nail on the head... "have fun"

You solicited yourself out for free.... somebody accepted your solicitation... AND THEN offered to pay you for it. Sounds like a bonus to me. This woman COULD have gotten you to do the work for free... sounds like she's just an honest person that respects that fact that nobody's time should be free. I wish more people were like that.

I do too!

I didn't solicit free wedding work. I solicited free amateur senior pics! :lmao:

I am having fun. I am stressing, but I'm having fun too. I'm very excited about meeting with the ladies tomorrow. I'll hopefully be able to do some pre-wedding shots ... wedding portraits, if you will sometime next week. That will make me feel a lil better about it, I think.

I'm gonna go get a tripod I suppose, so that I have it on hand (was planning on getting one anyway.) Do you think I'd be better off getting a monopod? One of the biggest things I've got to work on is getting a whole group in focus rather than just a person. Is there a trick to placing the people so that it's easier?

What editing software do you have? I ask because you can fix some mistake in editing :) I can't wait to see your pictures !!!! How long do you have until the wedding? Hopefully they will let you shoot some samples shots tomorrow when you met them of them in the church at least it might give you a starting point.

Yes, I told her I would like to play with the settings some tomorrow and get an idea of what settings I will be using. The wedding is mid-Nov. I use GIMP, Digital Photographer (Canon software), and Corel Paint Shop Pro X. (I also have Paint Shop Pro 7 cause I'm used to it.)

I do too!

I didn't solicit free wedding work. I solicited free amateur senior pics! :lmao:

I am having fun. I am stressing, but I'm having fun too. I'm very excited about meeting with the ladies tomorrow. I'll hopefully be able to do some pre-wedding shots ... wedding portraits, if you will sometime next week. That will make me feel a lil better about it, I think.

I'm gonna go get a tripod I suppose, so that I have it on hand (was planning on getting one anyway.) Do you think I'd be better off getting a monopod? One of the biggest things I've got to work on is getting a whole group in focus rather than just a person. Is there a trick to placing the people so that it's easier?

I never understand why people think a tripod is worthwhile at a wedding. Maybe for the formals in a set place, but for 90% of the rest of the day, you won't be using one.

A monopod is something to be used when you have a heavy lens or if you have very unsteady hands. If you can take a sharp shot at 1/60 shutter wit no IS, then no need for a monopod IMO.

To get the whole group in focus, you need to shoot at a smaller aperture. You'll have a tendency to shoot at the widest during the ceremony. When done, make sure you take the time to think about every shot. If you have a group of 3-4 people and they are all standing on the same "line" or plane, then they are at the same focus level and a wider aperture might work.

But if people are standing somewhat staggered due to group size, one head may be a bit behind the other head and a wide aperture will cause the person in back to be out of focus. So shoot at a smaller aperture, f/8 or so should work. But this is where experience comes into play.

As a tip for a bigger group, try shooting from a higher vantage point and have everyone look up at you. Not only will this help the dof, it will also have them stretch their heads up removing the dreaded double chins. Stand on a chair, a table, out a window, bring a ladder...but remember to be safe!

Anyone have any advice on a contract, model release?

Sounds stupid, but google it.

That is how I built 95% of mine. I took ideas from various other contracts and tweaked as best I could. Note that all contracts should be reviewed by a lawyer, but while mine wasn't at first, I preferred to have something over nothing

I'm out of thanks, but thank you for all of that valuable information bigtwinky! I'll for sure keep it all in mind!

This is the contract that I've come up with by means of piecing together templates.... Anyone care to look it over and tell me if there's something big I'm missing? Thanks!
Wedding Date: __________ Approx.
Time Photography Starts: __________ Approx. Time Photography Ends: __________

Other sessions/times agreed upon: ________________________________________________________________

Wedding, Location & address: _____________________________________________________________________

Reception, Location & address: ____________________________________________________________________

Bride’s Name: __________________________________ Phone: __________________ Facebook:_______________

Address: ___________________________________________________________ email: ________________________

Favorite, Food:_________ Candy:___________ Drink: __________ Sport:______________ Store:______________

Groom’s Name: _________________________________ Phone: ___________________ Facebook:_______________

Address: ____________________________________________________________ email: _______________________

Favorite, Food:_________ Candy:___________ Drink: __________ Sport:______________ Store:______________

Wedding theme & attire: please specify a theme (if any) traditional / formal / informal / casual etc, as well as colors/

AGREEMENT Overview: This Agreement expresses the full and complete agreement between the named parties and SUNKISSED PHOTOGRAPHS (Hereafter refereed to as SKP) regarding the subject matter hereof. It supersedes all prior agreements. The only way to add or change this agreement is to do so in writing, signed by all parties.

COOPERATION: Unless otherwise noted,SKP, it's associates or employees will be the exclusive photographer(s) at this event. CLIENT agrees that guests may not take photos of the assigned photographer(s) setups, poses or arrangements without prior permission of the photographer(s). The Parties agree that good faith cooperation and communication between them is important in obtaining a good result. SKP recommends that CLIENT identify to the photographer(s) important individuals during the event and during associated portraits, if they wish to have them photographed. SKP or the photographer will not be held accountable for not photographing desired guests if there is no one to assist in identifying and gathering people for photograph's. SKP is not responsible if key individuals fail to appear or cooperate during photography, or for missed images due to details not revealed to SKP or beyond the photographer(s) control.

HOUSE RULES: CLIENT agrees and understands that the photographer(s) are limited by the guidelines of the ceremony official or reception site/venue management and CLIENT agrees to accept the results that may occur from said guidelines. Negotiation with the officials for moderation of guidelines is solely the CLIENTs responsibility. SKP will however offer technical recommendations concerning such guidelines.

IMAGES and COPYRIGHTS: Photographs/images produced by SKP are protected by Federal Copyright Law (all rights reserved). Upon final payment by CLIENT, CLIENT is granted limited license to use and display resulting images for personal use. Said images may not be altered or reproduced in any manner without prior written permission of SKP. This excepting CLIENTS who receive a high resolution digital disk with printing rights, who may make prints for personal use, but may not copy, or re distribute the disk in any manner. The CLIENT must obtain written permission from, and compensate SKP prior to the CLIENT, its associates, friends or relatives publishing or selling the photographs.

MODEL RELEASE. The CLIENT hereby grants to SKP and successors, heirs, executors, administrators, assigns, attorneys, representatives and agents, the irrevocable and unrestricted right to use and publish photographs of the CLIENT or in which the CLIENT may be included, for editorial, trade, advertising or any other purpose and in any manner or medium; to alter the same without restriction; and to copyright the same. The CLIENT hereby releases SKP and all associates representatives and assigns from any and all claims, actions, demands, suits, liabilities, damages, expenses, and obligations of any kind arising from, or related in any manner to SKP use if said images.

Photography Agreement Page 1/2
RETAINER & PAYMENT SCHEDULE: $200 is due at the signing this agreement. This is a NON-REFUNDABLE RETAINER. Should CLIENT cancel or otherwise breach this Agreement, the NON-REFUNDABLE RETAINER shall be liquidated for payment of any materials/charges incurred up to time of cancellation. Otherwise, the retainer shall applied towards the Final Total, with The remainder of charges payable in full, five days prior to the date of the event.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY: In the unlikely event that the photographer(s) are injured, become too ill, or has an emergency that prevents them from photographing the event CLIENT agrees that responsibility and liability of SKP to the CLIENT is limited to the return of all payments received for the event. SKP takes the utmost care with respect to exposure, storage, and processing the photographs/images, but cannot and does not guarantee that photographs/images of the event will not be lost, stolen, or destroyed for reasons within or beyond SKP control. CLIENT agrees that SKP or the photographer(s) full and complete responsibility and liability is limited to the return of all payments received for the event. CLIENT further agrees that the limit of liability for a partial loss of originals shall be a prorated amount of the exposures lost based on the estimated percentage of the total number of original images. CLIENT is also responsible for stolen or damaged photographer equipment during the time of the event. SKP has given a clear description of the level of experience and equipment available for this event and has agreed to deliver the best images possible. CLIENT has displayed an understanding of this description, as well as, seen sample work and CLIENT expectations of the photography match the limitations of SKP.

COMPLETION SCHEDULE: Images are expected to be prepared for proofing within 2 weeks of the event date. CD/DVD creation is expected within 4 weeks. Printed items may require additional time.
PRINT PACKAGES:
SKP will prepare proofs to be selected for print packages. Delivery time from the date of order will be 2-3 weeks from the date of order. Payment for print packages must be paid in full at the time of the placed order. High Resolution Digital Photo disk is only available with package B or C.

Wedding Package (see price list for full details):$__________
Wedding Print Package Choices:

Package A $65.00
1 - 8x10
4 - 5x7
15 - 4x6
4 - wallets

Package B $75.00
1 - 11x14
2 - 8x10
15 - 4x6
4 - wallets

Package C $125.00
1 - 11x14
3 - 8x10
6 - 5x7
15 - 4x6
4 – wallets
Additional Prints (Special sizes available, price will be determined.)
Wallets - $3 for 4
4x6 - $2.00
5x7 - $7.00
8x10 - $12.00
12x12 - $15.00
11x14 - $25.00
16x20 - $40.00

Additional Comment/Changes:

I hereby agree to the terms of this agreement.

Print ______________________ Sign_________________________ (Bride) Date ________________

Print ______________________ Sign_________________________ (Groom) Date ________________

Print ______________________ Sign_________________________ (Other) Date ________________

Print ______________________ Sign_________________________ (Photographer) Date ________________

I just wanted to make a comment about Bitter Jeweler's first post in this thread. That is exactly the kind of comment I expect out of him. I can see the expression on his face as he read the post. HA! TPF is so entertaining, gotta love it...

Let me know how it worked out at the wedding/s...I'm going to do my first wedding when hell freezes over.

Yeah, I had no intentions of doing weddings... ever (still don't), but I felt bad that this lady had no one to help her out.

Most reactions

Back