Oh, so you're a photographer?

My friends are pretty decent when it comes to stuff like this.
i think they realise after seeing me spending all that money on equipement that i wont do it for free. You just have to make it clear that you dont give away picture or shoot for free.

same things with computers. I am also a computer security consultant and ive had people calling me all the time with the "Hey can you come and fix my computer"
i dont mind helping friends and familly but when you become the helpdesk of everyone and it starts to eat all the time you have off then it become an issue.

same thing for photography.
i've had a couple situation where i had people i know calling me for pictures. Right after i agreed to go then i told them the price i was asking pretty much nothing compared to full time photographer who lives off that money... they were like, ohhh ill call you later. I never got the call back. LOL

Wow I know that pretty much to the t... it is even pretty sad when people bring in their personal computer to work and they are like my computer is acting funny and try to hand it to us and we are like that doesn't look like a regular computer and they are like yeah its my personal..... it is so tough to be nice to these people....

LOL,

i had one friend calling me last week.

He works in a car dealership and one person that works there lost all the file she had on a portable harddrive.
company didnt had any backup of that drive since it was not a company asset. she was not suposed to have these file on a drive not backed up by the company. Her job was probably depending on this.Thier system admin told her that there was nothing to do about it LOL.

My buddy was kinda giving me the feeling that she wanted this done for free.

i restored everything. sent her an email with a list of all the drive files.
and i told her to come pick the dvds (total restore was 12 gbs) with cash in hand.

Whenever I hear a comment like that it is usually followed by "can you take our picture?" as they hand me their P&S. (I'm usually at some touristy area with the wife and daughter) Most of the time I don't mind as it seems to be common practice for people to take each others group photos so everyone can be in the shot. Sometimes I'll even have a little fun with it and start posing them and moving them all around to get better backgrounds/lighting and really showing them what their P&S can do; people tend to get a kick out of that, and I get free practice!
I have had people audacious enough to see me taking pics of an event and ask me if I'll send them some photos if they give me their e-mail address. Man, I must loose a lot of e-mail addresses.

I love showing up some place with a really big lens on my Leicaflex. If someone asks "are you a photographer?" I deny, deny, deny....

Of course you do... because you're not a photographer. :greenpbl: :lol:

Absolutely not! I am not a photographer. I used to be, on the planet Zirconia, in the 12th dimension...

:lol:

I know too much about photography to be a photographer...'photographers' know just enough to be able to sell their work...and no more...why should they? It's wasted time and effort on their part.

"...You're a photographer?"

"No... why?"
"No, this is just a counterweight to keep my neck from snapping back."

"No, I just have this big camera because I'm compensating for something."

"Yes, I shoot for Maxim actually, how would you like to be spread..I mean.. be in a spread?"

...and ask me if I'll send them some photos if they give me their e-mail address.
Just say, "You bet! Absolutely! Will you be paying with cash, check or online with Paypal?"

The one I love is commercial clients that want to add setups during the shoot.
I'm always positive, "You bet! Absolutely! What a great idea! After all. It's only money."

Then they get this kind of confused look on their face......until they realize it's THEIR money I'm talking about.

"Actually..." (dropping to a whisper and pulling them close) "I'm with the CIA. This isn't a camera, it's... well I probably shouldn't go in to that. You see that man over there? I've been trailing him for months, and now I've almost got him! I tell you this because I need your help; whatever you do, do not let him leave. It's a matter of national security!"

Yeah, I have too much fun with people.

"Am I a photographer?"

1) "Well no, not really, though I can see why you ask"

2) "Well no, not really, though I play one on TV"

3) "Well no, not really, I am Tom Cruise in disguise"

4) "Well no, not really, but I can be if you want. Are you into role-playing too?"

"can you take our picture?" .....

I have had people audacious enough to see me taking pics of an event and ask me if I'll send them some photos if they give me their e-mail address. Man, I must loose a lot of e-mail addresses.

I love it when I'm shooting an event and people assume that if they ask I will submit their image to CBS/CNN/ABC/FOX or some other place that I don't shoot for. Or when they try to talk me into how their image (not having anything to do with the event) should be the cover picture....

I have to learn KMH's phrase about Paypal....... I even accept cash and all major CC's.

"No, I am a media producer."

skieur

I just got one... No..... heres your sign.... gotta love bill engval

Most reactions

Back