Ohio deputy shot a news photographer

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by Timppa, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Chicken ***t cops that will SHOOT a man in the dark, because they fear for their own safety. Not enough balls to do the job of police officer, too much of a shoot first before I get hurt kind of attitude. So sick of reading all this defending of BAD COPS and poor police training, filtered through the fantasy-like adoration of the cops you've known or heard about.

Not every cop is worth defending. Some of them plant drugs on suspects, tamper with evidence, beat up people, steal their money and drugs, beat their wives, have MAJOR alcoholism issues, etc.etc.. Soooo tired of broad-brush defense of bad police behavior in the face of an obvious "bad shoot". Not every cop deserves a slot on a force.

The cop deserves jail time. The innocent civilian, deserves a healthy settlement. Of course, the bad cop's department will investigate, and most likely will find the officer acted "in a justified manner"...becasue, you know, he "feared for his life." As all weenie cops do.

Thank god a girl scout with an iPhone was not on-scene, or she'd likely have been gunned down too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Literally nobody is saying this cop was correct. Those of us who can maintain a level head however, are saying that we should wait to pass judgement because we weren't there. We don't know all the details. We've seen one (really shitty) angle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    People tend to overlook the reason police are armed. Police carry a sidearm to protect their own life and the lives of their fellows. Simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    And the fact that the surpreme court has already ruled that police officers have no legal obligation to protect citizens. Sounds bad, but its fact.

5. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For those saying a cop has to send a letter of intent before drawing their weapon... (ok that was an exaggeration) and that they should never open fire unless fired upon, please take the time to watch this video. It was in response to some officers shooting black people pulling out wallets, so there is the racist concept being discussed WHICH I KNOW is not being discussed here but it does describe the whole "shooting first" issue which is the crux of this thread's debate.

6. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a good way to get shot:

First; act suspiciously for no apparent reason.
    Wear burglar clothes (stocking cap, sweatshirt hood, dark glasses, etc.) even if the weather is mild.
    Stay in the shadows and remain partially hidden from view.
    When a police officer issues a lawful order, ignore the order and do the opposite.
    At some point, reach behind your back to retrieve your wallet, all the while ignoring anything the police officer is saying.
    Move quickly, as if your wallet is on fire and you must get it out of your pocket before it burns your pants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I get what Destin's talking about. My type work was with babies and toddlers and parents and in case of say, a fire drill at our building (thankfully never had a real fire), the priority is making sure the kids and families are safe.

Out in the real world doing home visits, of course the reason to be there was for the kids and their families, but not at risking life and limb. We had a long time director who always told us if anything seems not right, figure out a way to get yourself out of there, then we'll figure out how to deal with the situation. If necessary I could call 911 or call child protective services - glad the only time I had to call was when we were at the door and could see the two toddlers but no adult came to the door. (Turned out the mom just didn't hear us practically beating down the door! and was up by the time a police officer arrived.) So we didn't take it so far as to try to break in, but had to wait for assistance in that case.

You do what you can but yeah, there were days I was glad to get the heck out of Dodge. There's always something on the news about drug related shootings etc. and I'm usually going, yeah, been there, know that neighborhood well... Closest I ever came was passing a guy who nodded to me and I nodded back and then the last several feet to the car it's dawning on me, did I see a gun under his jacket? I didn't wait around to find out if he was the friendly neighborhood drug dealer or what. It's dicey out there (depending on where your 'out there' happens to be). And some of this stuff happens in broad daylight when it didn't used to. We learned how to keep ourselves safe as part of the job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit