Ok, dumb question of the day..

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my Manfrotto tripod. The screw is 3/8"" but my ball head ( Manfrotto 498rc2) is not the same size.
What do I get to attach it to tripod?
:{
Thank you.....(slinks away..)

they make little adapters for that.
All my tripods came with the adapters on it already ...

I've forgotten what size is which ... lol ..

Check to see if you can unscrew the threads on the tripod. I don't know about Manfrotto, but my Giottos has reversible thread. You might be able to take the piece with the threads out and flip it around.

What do I get to attach it to tripod?
Congratulations on the new tripod!

What you need is a 3/8 x 16 to 1/4 x 20 adapter. You'll want the 3/8 side to be female and the 1/4 side to be male. I think B&H has all the adapters that are required. Or check with Manfroto, as they should have those already packaged up to mail out to their new customers.

Check the tripod - I just checked the 055xb, a common type, and that is listed as having a 3/8" post. I have a Manfrotto tripod (I think the one above) with a plain Manfrotto ball head and it went on there with no problem. Maybe you have a tripod that somehow is an exception to this general set-up. If so, I'd consider trading it in - you don't want to have to use an adapter and have another set of threads to worry about when you're carrying the tripod (it would also look really strange).

As you stated the tripod comes with 1 3/8" male screw, the head also comes with a 3/8" female thread but since some tripods have a 1/4" male thread the head is probably fitted with a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter. Simply screw out the adapter and then the head should fit to be fitted to the tripod.

As you stated the tripod comes with 1 3/8" male screw, the head also comes with a 3/8" female thread but since some tripods have a 1/4" male thread the head is probably fitted with a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter. Simply screw out the adapter and then the head should fit to be fitted to the tripod.

There is a silver 'screw' in the head, but I didn't want to force or break anything..looks like if I get a larger flat head screwdriver it may unscrew (?).

I would be disappointed if I need something else as the tripod was almost $500 and it was not noted that I would need something else.

Yep, that silver screw is the 3/8" to 1/4" adapter the rest of the underside of the head should be an anodised black.

Don't loose that adapter though when you take it off. I've always needed mine for something or another.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back