OK folks, am I ready?

The truth is that I only use natural sunlight - i.e. a sunny window - to take the pictures. My goal is to learn much more about lighting and any input on this would be much appreciated. I don't know what I would do if I was at a client's home on a cloudy day, which is a terrible weakness that I should probably address before considering charging anyone. What suggestions does anyone have? Is there a certain type of light kit I should buy? If natural light isn't available, I would want to generate something that looked as close to natural light as possible.

A good place to start is Strobist Read the lighting 101 section to start and go from there. And start checking out the work of others to see what to shoot for. My favorite baby photographer I have seen recently can be found here.

Your images are decent, but your post processing needs improvement.

Your images are decent, but your post processing needs improvement.

Are there some specific techniques you would suggest for improvement? Or specific resources such as a great book or website that you think would help? I would really appreciate any input you have as I am just starting (obviously). Thanks!

Looking at it from the perspective of someone who has been taking baby pics for a couple of years, they are quite decent for sure, however, looking at it from the perspective as someone wanting to turn professional based on the quality of the displayed shots, there are some definite issues that need to be addressed way before you turn pro:

- the poses, though some are good, most are just boring. The saving factor is that parents love looking at pics of their kids, boring or not. There is a posing/composition aspect that needs a lot of improving.

- post processing. None of the pics that I looked at have "POP!" (to be fair, I did not look through more than maybe 35% of what is on the site). There is a lot of B&W of ONE kind (neither high nor low key, just kinda in the middle). B&W is nice but there should be more colour, IMHO. Even the few colour ones fell into the "nothing that really grabs my attention" category.

- the lighting is blah on 100% of the pictures that I did see. You need to learn to use light FIRST, and then learn to also light with strobes or speedlights. In portraiture, lighting is so important that I can confidently say that until you learn this, you are lacking a tremendously large level of quality in EACH picture. This is a major factor in the difference between taking snapshots and taking photographs.

I think that there is a good base there, however there are several key important aspects missing from your skillset that will define your level of success.

A final thought... many amateurs want to turn pro, but 90% will fail because they all think that all they need to do is learn photography and they will make a ton of cash. That is so far from the truth, its not even funny. To succeed in photography as an art, all you need to learn is good photography. To succeed in photography as a BUSINESS, you need to learn how to run a business properly.

By that I mean... have you even considered some things like:

- a professionally designed website and/or blog
- current and future equipment costs
- marketing techniques
- sales techniques
- business cards
- registering or even incorporating the business
- costs for courses/seminars to constantly improve your abilities
- branding your company
- Competitive analysis of your local market to set pricing and quality standards
- and finally what I think is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that defines the difference an amateur wanting to make a few bucks and a professional that wishes to create a successful business... a detailed and complete business plan that spans a minimum of 1 year (many business plans I did were 5 year plans!).

I could likely add at least 20 other things to the "must have before opening the door to my shop, for a successful business" list, however, I will just suggest that you find a successful company and look at what they did to get to where they are.

If you go on places like flickr and ask what successful people did to get to where they are, you will find that ultimately, photography has VERY little to do with their success. Yes, they will be GOOD photographers... but to become a decent photographer is way low on the list of priorities needed to become successful BUSINESS. Look at the number of bad photographers out there making 5 and even high 6 digit salaries!

Do I think you are ready? No, not even close. Do I think you can make it? Yes, no doubt in my mind that you can do VERY well. You just have a lot more work to do than you realized. :)

Good luck! :D

To succeed in photography as a BUSINESS, you need to learn how to run a business properly.

By that I mean... have you even considered some things like:

- a professionally designed website and/or blog
- current and future equipment costs
- marketing techniques
- sales techniques
- business cards
- registering or even incorporating the business
- costs for courses/seminars to constantly improve your abilities
- branding your company
- Competitive analysis of your local market to set pricing and quality standards
- and finally what I think is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that defines the difference an amateur wanting to make a few bucks and a professional that wishes to create a successful business... a detailed and complete business plan that spans a minimum of 1 year (many business plans I did were 5 year plans!).

This was such a thorough response, and I *really* appreciate it. (There have been 85 page views on my website since I posted this, but only a handful of responses to my post - voyeurs! I need C&C please!)

I digress.

Your points about lighting and post production are well taken. Lighting in particular is definitely my weak point. Any suggestions about resources to learn more are much appreciated. There are so many books available on Amazon, I have no idea which ones are actually useful. I am also signed up for two fall classes at the University of the Arts here in Philadelphia to work on this more.

I should qualify my desire to go pro. I'm not in it, at this point, to make tons of money - at all. It would do my marriage good to just break even! :) I really enjoy the process of taking and editing the pictures, and want the opportunity to do that more and not take a loss any longer. I have two small children and I'm a full time parent by choice - don't want to get so busy that I'm not with them. I am hoping to pick up maybe 2 - 4 jobs per month. I'm very hooked into the birth/babies scene here in Philadelphia, and have already gotten 3 referrals through word of mouth. That amount of business traffic is fine for me right now. I also do have cards and a few local birth/baby type businesses have agreed to let me leave my cards and a sample photo when I'm confident that I'm ready to start the "business." And a friend who is a lawyer and agreed to help me incorporate for free in exchange for pictures of his family. So it's certainly not a thorough business plan, but it's a start.

My main goal right now is to get better and get confident with my photography. I want to be sure that whatever situation I encounter out on assignment, I am able to produce quality images that please me as an "artist" (sorry, gag, I know) and please the family for many years.

the poses, though some are good, most are just boring. The saving factor is that parents love looking at pics of their kids, boring or not. There is a posing/composition aspect that needs a lot of improving.

I forgot to respond on the poses. Aesthetically, I am really not into highly "posed" images like babies in flowerpots or whatever. There's nothing wrong with them, they're just not my thing. But I can definitely see how some of my shots could use a little more drama. Looking back on them with a critical eye (which I am definitely doing oh, hourly, since I know so many of you folks are) - there are some pretty glaringly snapshotty pictures among the selection, along with others that really do please me in terms of composition. Maybe not posting EVERY SINGLE picture for my clients would help eliminate that problem (many have suggested 25 - 50 instead of 150!)

I have a background as a reporter and what really appeals to me more is making art of out real life. Faithfully recording what is actually happening in the life of a family in the most beautiful and flattering (for those poor postpartum mamas) possible.

Maybe this can be interpreted as a lack of creativity? But I think there is room out there for a more photojournalistic style, and that's my thing.

As far as PP goes, there are a ton of good resources both in book form and on the net. Scott Kelby has some awesome photoshop books and there are some really great free tutorials on youtube that can help you learn how to make skin look great. Check those resources out and play with the photos you have.

Newborn skin is tough because it's often very splotchy and red....but no-one wants their newborn pictures to look that way.....this is why so many newborn pictures are in B&W.

Unfortunately, B&W is one of the trickiest things to make look really outstanding (IMHO). You can't just turn it B&W and call it a day...you really must pay attention to the different tones and contrast of B&W. It's so hard!

Lastly, I suggest going to flickr and checking out as many newborn or baby pictures as possible. Pay attention to what catches your eye and what makes an awesome photo.

am i the only one who finds the non colored pictures over exposed???

They don't seem overexposed to me, but some have some hotspots on the baby from a flash (or so it appears).

My biggest annoyance/critique of the pictures is the framing or cropping of a lot of the images. For example, there's one photo where you have it framed at the bottom right under the chin (good), and cutoff at the bridge of his nose/eyebrows (bad). It looks like you just accidentally forgot to zoom out or frame correctly. Another one is the hand where part of the thumb is cutoff. It defeats the look I think if part of the object is out of frame.

Have you considered doing some of your shoots outside? You double the light source and if you find shade then you've got nice lighting and a single strobe can be a nice fill or accent for the lighting. By taking it outside you can also mix up the scenery so all of the shots aren't the bland white background shots (no offense, just not my style as much). Basically I'm saying that it might be nice to mix up with indoor + outdoor shots to give more variety to the shots.

I'll second the ear picture. I just don't get it and it seems weird to have a picture of nothing but an ear.

Most reactions

Back