OK I gotta ask...

Nacho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All these numbers and codes and crap from these DSLR's mean pretty much nothing to me.
Some of the features I can understand, but for the most part it is all jibberish to me.
Basically I want to photograph critters that are probably going to be a LONG ways off, at least 50, maybe 200 yards. We have some of the spookiest deer and elk around, if they even hint of a human they are gone.
There are some exceptions, one where I had a doe not 10 feet from me while taking my morning leak, but I can't count on that to happen again.

SO...
If I want to be able to shoot critters from that far away, what should I have? I look at the different lenses and cameras and it means nothing to me.

You need a zoom lens. I have a 70 - 300mm zoom lens. I can get pretty closeup shots with it and it won't break the bank to buy it. Mine was like $200.00. The higher the number the closer you can zoom in. Big professional sports photog's usually use about a 500mm zoom lens.
50mm is about what the human eye sees.

HTH

I wouldn't seriously shoot wildlife with anything less than a 300 f/4 or 200-400 f/4.

So if 50 mm is what the human eye sees, then at its max magnification, wouldn't the lens only be about 6x zoom? It wouldn't do much for an elk 600 feet away.
That's not quite right. 50m is what the human eye sees yes, but the average point-and-shoot (Which uses the 3X 4X 6X etc measurements) starts at 28mm. So a 300mm lens is really more like 11X zoom.

Believe us, 300mm is a good average zoom to use. Have you ever looked through one?

EDIT: although trying to shoot anything 600 feet away would be a challenge for even top-end gear, so don't get your hopes up unless you can somehow get closer to your subjects.

just a quick question while on this subject,

my Finepix camera(S5600) has a 10X optical zoom. so if we were talking in dSLR lenses, what ##mm-##mm wud that relate to, roughly?

Thanks much for the replies, now I at least have a clue what I am looking for. :mrgreen:

just a quick question while on this subject,

my Finepix camera(S5600) has a 10X optical zoom. so if we were talking in dSLR lenses, what ##mm-##mm wud that relate to, roughly?

Finepix S5600: 38 - 380 mm (35 mm equiv) 10x optical zoom

the formula to calculate the optical zoom is to divide the higher number by the lower number.

All these numbers and codes and crap from these DSLR's mean pretty much nothing to me.

You should really start to learn what all those numbers mean, though. They will be important when you start to take pictures of those hard-to-get critters. It took me a little but I am learning more and more as I go along.

That's not quite right. 50m is what the human eye sees yes, but the average point-and-shoot (Which uses the 3X 4X 6X etc measurements) starts at 28mm. So a 300mm lens is really more like 11X zoom.

The average point and shoot starts at 35 mm, not 28. So 11X zoom on the average p&s would be 385mm in terms of 35mm equivalent. An APS-C DSLR camera (i.e. low or medium priced camera) has an inherent crop factor due to its reduced sensor size compared to full frame, which provides some inherent magnification of the focal length.

An APS-C Nikon, Sony or Pentax will give you about 450 mm focal length with a 300mm lens, comparable to 13X zoom with most point & shoot cameras. Additionally, the image will have better resolution than the point & shoot image, and can be cropped more aggressively, adding more magnification (AKA digital zoom).

For the OP, here's an excellent tutorial on focal length: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm

"Normal" is more like 28-35mm as in what the human eye sees in terms of crop factor cameras, and I personally hate the 'x' zoom ratio stuff anyways. All it does is describe the range of the lens and not what it'll actually see. The Sigma 200-500mm lens will see further than a 70-300mm zoom. But the Sigma is only a "2.5x" zoom whereas the 70-300 is "4.3x". It tells you nothing other than the range of the lens. A shorter view than both of these is the Nikon 18-200mm lens, which is 11.1x.

Anyways, most pro wildlife photographers learn to get much much closer than 200 yards and also learn how to get friendly with the animals. If you seriously want to pick stuff off 200 yards away, a 300mm isn't gonna cut it. People that do that stuff use 300, 400, 500, or 600mm primes with teleconverters on top of that to get them even further. This stuff costs major bucks, like as much as a decent used car. On a budget, a stabilized 70-300 IS/VR lens would probably be a good bet, or a 300mm f/4 prime with or without stabilization. Beyond that a Nikon 80-400VR or the Canon 100-400IS are the next best bet at about $1000 each. And after that you're looking at serious money. A camera that does well at high ISO would be a big help too.

Thanks again for all the input. :thumbup:
Yes I am sure now that I will have to work on my tactics for getting closer to these critters, I think it will make it more challenging and therefore more rewarding if I actually get a good photo. I know some people here that bowhunt, so I might have to get with them for some advice since their ranges are usually 40-80 yards, as long as they don't tell me they sit in a blind all day until something comes along, that sounds about as exciting as watching an episode of The Waltons. I DEFINATELY will want to get closer after looking at some of the prices of the 400mm+ lenses... yeouch!

price of 300mm arent bad, but when you get higher its just like :|

I think the only way anyone is going to help you is if you give a budget. The kind of lens you are looking for can run anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to a good few thousand all depending on the sped of the lens. There are also increments in between that can be very acceptable. Also your body choice can vary alot depending on your budget.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back