Ok, I have to ask... D7200 VS 80D

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XTi about 10 years ago and lost interest in the camera some years later. I just felt like i outgrew the camera and at the time i couldn't afford it. I ended up using the excuse "it was too big to bring out" and well, you can image the rest. I got an Olympus TG-820 iHS and carried that since it took decent photos. I had some lenses, accessories, was used to the menu's, etc. So i went along and purchased my Canon 80D from the camera shop my uncle has worked at for FOREVER in NJ and living in CT i ended up with instant gratification, i got it the next day. It wasn't an impulse buy as i have been looking at a camera for quite some time and it was in my budget so that's why i went with it. Days into owning it i was snooping around on the internet and found out that the Nikon D7200 is the competitor to the 80D. My uncle is a nikon guy so i have been able to play with them and owned one at one point, a Coolpix 5400. Anyways, everyone says the nikon produces sharper images and is better in low light. I know the canon is no slouch, but did i shoot myself in the foot money wise when i could have taken the money i spent on the 80D and bought the D7200? Are the differences in sharpness and low light performance negligible? Besides for video (which i don't do much of) what does the canon have over the nikon? Not that i can go back and return it, nor do i want to sell it (just bought a battery grip for it which i have always wanted), just wondering why canon answered the d7200 with this if it's not "as good". I know i'm asking in a canon forum so i suspect i'll get defensive answers of some sort, but in a good way. Thanks!

Both the 80D and D7200 are very good camera.
Getting either one is a good choice.
They are similar in many ways and each has a bit of advantage.
It looks like you are really aware of the main differences of the 2 cameras.
The main advantage of the 80D is its auto focus in video, not doing lots of video means that this advantage is indeed not so important for you.
The sensor on the 80D is Canon's best current APS-C sensor.

On the other hand the sensor on the D7200 is one of the best APS-C sensors in the market today, it does have a bit better low light performance then the 80D and also have better dynamic range.
Potentially it can produce sharper pictures due to the lack of AA filter.

Both have very good auto focus systems

Comparing them is like comparing Toyota Corolla vs Honda Civic, both good, both will do the job you want.
The 80D is a better video camera, the D7200 is the better picture taking machine but again it doesn't mean the 80D is bad.

Keep the D7200, for pictures you got the better camera in my eyes, invest in improving your skills and in good lenses, this will truly make the difference and not so much the 80D or D7200

Why is the D7200 rated a bit better for pictures then the 80D ?
Well the answer is in the sensor, Canon is making its own sensor while the Nikon sensor is made by Sony which is the best sensor maker in the world, Canon has been really improving with its sensor technology and slowly closing the gap with Sony but Sony is still leading the market with its sensors.

Last edited:
I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XTi about 10 years ago and lost interest in the camera some years later. I just felt like i outgrew the camera and at the time i couldn't afford it. I ended up using the excuse "it was too big to bring out" and well, you can image the rest. I got an Olympus TG-820 iHS and carried that since it took decent photos. I had some lenses, accessories, was used to the menu's, etc. So i went along and purchased my Canon 80D from the camera shop my uncle has worked at for FOREVER in NJ and living in CT i ended up with instant gratification, i got it the next day. It wasn't an impulse buy as i have been looking at a camera for quite some time and it was in my budget so that's why i went with it. Days into owning it i was snooping around on the internet and found out that the Nikon D7200 is the competitor to the 80D. My uncle is a nikon guy so i have been able to play with them and owned one at one point, a Coolpix 5400. Anyways, everyone says the nikon produces sharper images and is better in low light. I know the canon is no slouch, but did i shoot myself in the foot money wise when i could have taken the money i spent on the 80D and bought the D7200? Are the differences in sharpness and low light performance negligible? Besides for video (which i don't do much of) what does the canon have over the nikon? Not that i can go back and return it, nor do i want to sell it (just bought a battery grip for it which i have always wanted), just wondering why canon answered the d7200 with this if it's not "as good". I know i'm asking in a canon forum so i suspect i'll get defensive answers of some sort, but in a good way. Thanks!

I would get the Canon 80D (better "IQ" image quality, faster AF, etc) - it also depends on the selection of lens - quality, price, availability of different focal ranges, apertures, etc. which is important

but if the camera feels "too big to bring out" then you should probably be looking at the mirrorless camera options (Canon M5, Sony, Fuji, etc.)

Last edited:
I was waiting for Mr "beagle100" to show up, always good for a chuckle, thx buddy for making me smile.

Let me repeat this as you might get the wrong impression,
1.The D7200 does have better dynamic range,
2.Potentially sharper images due to the removal of the AA filter (the 80D still have the AA filter)
3.Auto focus systems are fantastic on both, haven't seen any comparison between them but they are probably extremely close in performance to a point that I wouldn't bother considering one over the other due to this issue.

So again, in my eyes while both cameras are excellent for stills photography the D7200 has a slight edge so enjoy your camera and now focus on honing your skills and maybe getting some good lenses.

I was waiting for Mr "beagle100" to show up, always good for a chuckle, thx buddy for making me smile.
e and now focus on honing your skills and maybe getting some good lenses.

LOL !
another jealous "Nikonian" !
I too use to shoot with a Nikon until I discovered why most of the pros shoot with Canon !

And why is that? it's certainly not sensor technology. (the D7200 beats it in: ISO Sensitivity, SNR, Dynamic Range, Tonal Range, and Color Sensitivity)

While the 80D might actually have the edge in the AF module itself -- the claims the AF is faster and the IQ is better are very much unsubstantiated.

Otherwise they are really comparable, so it ultimately comes down to if you already own EF or F mount lenses, or you really want the articulating screen.

Last edited:
"I know i'm asking in a canon forum so i suspect i'll get defensive answers of some sort, but in a good way."

it's always in a "good way" !

Why would anyone tell you one camera is "better" than another ?

LOL !
I too use to shoot with a Nikon until I discovered why most of the pros shoot with Canon !

Its always the easiest to simply talk down to someone who is telling the truth, trying to discredit the person and not facts is very poor tactics.
You do this to anyone who disagrees with you or say something that you don't like.

Well no matter what you say the facts are facts, when it comes to dynamic range D7200 is better
Low light performance D7200 has little bit better performance.
Sharpness again is same thing, due to removable of AA filter on the D7200 sensor can potentially get sharper images.

To OP this is all very much ego wars here, disregard them, I will repeat that you got a wonderful camera, to really get best results the 2 things you should concentrate at is skills and getting good lenses.

They both have an APSC sensor, but the Nikon has more sensor area: 15.28µm2 vs 14.06µm2.
It also has a higher resolution LCD screen although the Canon has an articulated screen.
The higher color depth, the better ISO and dynamic range, longer shooting on a charge, more focus points and 50,000 more actuations before recommended shutter replacement (I never replace shutters at the recommended interval but wait till failure, but a higher rating could indicate a more robust mechanism) all make Nikon a slightly better choice. (for me at least)

Io OP this is all very much ego wars here, disregard them, I will repeat that you got a wonderful camera, to really get best results the 2 things you should concentrate at is skills and getting good lenses.

LOL!
Obviously Canon is better, why else would most of the professionals use Canon
Canon is a "slightly better" choice ... and the lens are definitely better (everyone agrees that's true)

The only solution for you is to keep the 80D and buy a D7200 :adoration:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back