Ok I need a push either way!

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased a (demo model) 70d about 4-5 weeks back to replace my rebel xs from 2008. I found out that it had 11 or so bad pixels of different colors. I returned it and am waiting for a refund as we speak. Last week I made up my mind to go full frame instead so I purchased a 6d. I was stoked to have made that choice after much research. I found out, for the new $1099 price, that it was an "international" model. Everything including software was in Chinese. Canceled order! Decided to buy local as well. So now I'm back to square 1!

I guess my ADD kicked in because I began to think Maybe I shouldn't even be looking at bodies quite yet. My XS really is poor on many levels. AF, ISO, MP and so on. It works but I would like better ISO mostly and would like the MP because I would like to start doing prints as well. I have 2 EF mount lenses at this time. the kit 75-300 non IS (Seems very soft btw) and my macro 90mm prime. (love this lens). With full frame that's what I am stuck with for a few months until I can afford my first addition to EF glass. I have been shooting landscapes lately with my EF-S ultra wide 10-22 lens. (I love this lens).

So my Question is,
Should I just start on getting glass before I make the jump to full fram with the equipment I currently have? maybe the 70-200 f/4 IS to start replacing lenses I do not like?

Looking for opinions, options, advice please. Thanks in advance!

Tricky situation...the EF-S lenses are basically of NO use on anything but a Canon crop-sensor body, which is a shame since the 10-22 EF-S is a solid lens. The old 75-300 was never that good a lens. I saw the Mark II version at the local pawnshop last week for $79 in mint used. I dunno....Tamron 90 is a solid lens, I have an older AF one, it's a keeper lens.

I personally think modern FF is a lot like old Medium Format...the negative is large, so you can crop a lot. You could buy some fairly low-spec used Canon primes and plop 'em on a 6D and have wide-angle with a 28mm, semi-wide with a 35, and the older, Canon-branded EF 28-70 or 28-85 EF film-era zooms would be adequate to good lens choices for not much dinero. Again--with a capture that's apprx. 2.7x larger than Canon APS-C, you don't absolutely NEED the most superlative lenses to make a decent 13-inch wide inkjet print from a 20-MP FF capture. Pluuuuus, you get the higher ISO capabilities the 6D offers, and decent video..

The 6D or a used 5D-II would make things very different for you. I dunno...I shot my 20D this weekend with a Nikon 50mm lens on it via adapter, and the 50mm on 1.6x was a regal PITA. I forgot what a PITA, for me, the 1.6x FOV factor is with primes,and with zooms that are NOT crop-frame-sepcific lenses (aka 10-22 EF-S, 18-55, 17-55 EF-S,etc).

ANd YES on the 70-200 f/4 IS-L USM...buddy of mine has it, replacing his older 67mm filter thread non-IS model....WOW--the new 70-200/4 L IS USM is freaking sweeeeeeeeeeet! So,so well-balanced on the 7D and 5D-III. Yummy. And, great optics too. And not such a constant reminder when being carried. It would be, I think, "the" first lens to buy, and maybe the 16-35 IS second. I mean, if I were spending your money.

Thanks for the reply Derrel.
So your leaning towards a body it sounds. I know it would make a big difference!
I would like to get good glass from now on out. It doesn't have to be L but close at least. 3rd party glass is coming up a lot lately I believe. Its an investment anyways. I realized mostly when I got the 90mm prime, even on that body, what a difference it makes. I still smile at the quality when I toss it into the mix with my other glass. So i cant go backwards much. Primes are always good tho regardless of the overall "quality". Yes, I think that 70-200 would be a good choice for my first (if i do lenses first otherwise Ill need to replace my wide angle). Its what I lack the most on focal length and I have always wanted one. I have always heard the celerity and build quality is second to none. Im not real big on wildlife shooting but I do enjoy it. I just quit because I was never happy with the results of my kit lens that I have. I'm not going to go crazy on long focal glass for that due to the large cost. I am patient lol. Let them come to me. Not so much my thing right now anyways. I have even seen great landscapes with the 70-200. I think it would be suitable for the type I do like quail and rabbits. Plus its not near as heavy or big as the 2.8. F/4 would be fine and its a good price!

Still torn tho lol. If I get a body first, It may be awhile before I can shoot like I want to on it. If I get glass I may get fed up with the body and sell my motorcycle lol. I could upgrade all of it sooner then later but I have too many hobbies that take some of the funds. So its all going to be over a year maybe.

I would like to get clear prints around 24x30 ish and bigger. I would like a couple for the walls. The good thing is I already know the shots I want :) 10mp is going to have to wait to hang I think.

edit: Yeah just to add. I shot the 70D for about a week and it was a whole new beast for me. FF is yet another step up. One reason I was stoked. More to learn too which is a big plus.

Last edited:
Have you considered the 7d markii? I didn't see a budget but it's aps-c so your lenses would work, has great high ISO performance and might be what you are looking for.

I did look at it and played with it for a little before I got the 70D. It was a little more then I wanted to spend but I could have made it work. The FPS just made me tingle! Its a great body. It has great ISO as well but not quite as good as the full frame from what I could tell, at least In Tech'y reviews. I would like to do more night skies and lower light stuff. Next best I thing tho. The 5DIII seemed to really be the best in low light. Its too much to spend tho. Maybe next time around the 5DmkIV will be the one.

Just FYI, Canon sells refurb'd 6D's for 1099. Same warranty and all included gear. Just bought one myself and awaiting its arrival.

I've been "behind the curve" on lenses, and bodies, and bodies, and lenses, off and on in the past. There are times when a person can be in great need of lenses, or in great need of a new body. Most people talk about "glass". Glass, glass, glass. But there ARE times when it's smarter to move up to a better,more modern, more capable camera body. No longer is every new model generation an automatic or even a suggested upgrade in terms of bodies, but there are people for whom a new, high-performance, "modern" body is a good idea. A new body can leverage each and every lens that it can mount and shoot with. The Rebel XS to 70D is a big upgrade; so is the Rebel XS to full-frame 6D.

A 70-200 is a great landscape lens. I noticed M.R. at LuLa recently wrote an article in which he noted that his most commonly-used, most frequently-used landscape lenses are long telephotos, and have been for literally years on end. I prefer the narrow-angle landscapes over boring, faraway-looking UWA shots, most of the time.

Just FYI, Canon sells refurb'd 6D's for 1099. Same warranty and all included gear. Just bought one myself and awaiting its arrival.
I did see those. I'm a little apprehensive on getting a referbished model. After waiting almost 2 months to get my purchase I'm ready to gave it in hand. It is a good savings front the 1399 I'm looking at local

From everything I read, buying a refurb from the manufacturer is nothing to be concerned about. They carry the same warranty as a new one, one year, and have been completely gone through. But, you gotta do what you are comfortable with.

I've been "behind the curve" on lenses, and bodies, and bodies, and lenses, off and on in the past. There are times when a person can be in great need of lenses, or in great need of a new body. Most people talk about "glass". Glass, glass, glass. But there ARE times when it's smarter to move up to a better,more modern, more capable camera body. No longer is every new model generation an automatic or even a suggested upgrade in terms of bodies, but there are people for whom a new, high-performance, "modern" body is a good idea. A new body can leverage each and every lens that it can mount and shoot with. The Rebel XS to 70D is a big upgrade; so is the Rebel XS to full-frame 6D.

A 70-200 is a great landscape lens. I noticed M.R. at LuLa recently wrote an article in which he noted that his most commonly-used, most frequently-used landscape lenses are long telephotos, and have been for literally years on end. I prefer the narrow-angle landscapes over boring, faraway-looking UWA shots, most of the time.
Yeah its seems the more I learn about that style, the more I like it. It really broadens the devircity of shooting. Which is great for a style that one lens style pretty much dominates. I might have to search that article.

I also am going to reconsider a referbished model. I'm going to look into it more. 200 bucks is 200 bucks.
Edit: Price went up today to $1199 lol.

So I sounds like it's 2 for a body 0 for lenses.

Last edited:
Have you considered the 7d markii? I didn't see a budget but it's aps-c so your lenses would work, has great high ISO performance and might be what you are looking for.
Oh great haha,
Now you got my mind going! One reason I would go with lenses first is to build up a few EF lenses before switching to a FF camera. If I got a crop I could buy me many years to change over to EF glass. It was my plan when I got the 70D. Almost just wish the condition was fine and I was able to keep it. I think I sprouted another grey hair lol.

Well I've decided that I need the 7d mkii so I might as well push you over the edge too. Lol

Were you considering full frame as well?

Oh great haha,
Now you got my mind going! One reason I would go with lenses first is to build up a few EF lenses before switching to a FF camera. If I got a crop I could buy me many years to change over to EF glass. It was my plan when I got the 70D. Almost just wish the condition was fine and I was able to keep it. I think I sprouted another grey hair lol.

Camera gear is like AM/PM; too much good stuff:bouncingsmileys:

yes, I would really (if money wasn't a factor) like to get the 5DR. But at nearly $4k its out of the question. And since the 5D Mark iii is about $1k more than the 7d Mark ii I'm going to stay in the APS-C game. I also like the additional reach of the crop body since I try to get wildlife shots when I'm in the desert.

Most reactions

Back