ok i think a dumb question

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. So I got my new camera! FINALLY. But I am upset because after I do all of the work to the pictures I go to snapfish to print them and I can only fit so much of it to get printed. Is there a way to crop my stuff and add borders and still be able to print the whole thing? A setting or something in photoshop or the software that came with my canon rebel?

What are you using to edit the pics? Photoshop? I had this problem at first myself, and it took a while to figure out what was going on. My issue was the DPI setting. When I cropped things, I was doing so with a 72 dpi which was fine for web viewing, but when I uploaded them to print, it came out w/ a completely different crop. So when I edit them, I first set the crop setting (in photoshop) to 8x10 or whatever dimensions I want and make sure that the dpi is set to 300. When I then send it to mpix it comes out exactly as it did on my screen. I think this may be your issue as well.

As for borders, I rarely print them out. I generally add about a 2 pixel black border around the pic itself, then add about 1/2 inch of white border just to give it some separation from the matte. When I am printing a border like this, I will subtract this from the original crop so that when I am done, it comes out to the 8x10 or whatever dimensions I wanted. I always check the final image size to make sure it's right and 300dpi before sending it in.
Hope it helps.

yes that is very helpful. I actually use a few different editing programs... photoshop, but it isn't the full version. I also use gimp and the one that came with my rebel xt, photostudio5.5. I will try to look to see if I can change the dpi if I can find where that setting is. Thank you so much. I was getting very frustrated. :x :blushing:

When you send images to be printed...you should make sure that the image fits the aspect ratio of the print you want, including the frame if you have added one in the image yourself.

Uncropped images from that camera are in the 2:3 ratio...so 4x6 prints. If you want to order 5x7 or 8x10 prints for example...then you have to crop to that ratio....or else they will do it for you.

The Photoshop crop tool has presets. If you want a standard print size...just pick the preset in the crop tool and there you go.

thanks. It takes me forever to figure out these things! I feel sometimes like I shouldn't bother but the addiction to taking pictures keeps me trying. You guys make it better!

well i am trying but it still isnt working. Ill have to try not to pull my hair out and give it another go! :x

Most reactions

New Topics

Back