Ok, I'm just gonna come out and say it...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by manaheim, Jul 13, 2008.

1. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Isn't selling photoshop actions and presets... just a little... um... cheesy?

2. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think so.. but your milage may vary :) I think there are some good ones out there. Its weeding through the crap ones first though and first having a real fundamental knowledge of what the process is in an action, too.

Like I love sunshine in my hand (phaunt), I can't seem to replicate that myself. And I love super fun happy (totally rad actions) at a very low opacity to create highlights that I can't master yet either. So for some things, it gives what I lack.. but hopefully learn from :)

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I guess there's a market for them, somewhere. To me it seems like buying someone else's groceries. Sure I'll get food, but is it going to be exactly what I want?

4. manaheim

Photos OK to edit
    There's a buddy of mine who is in graphic design that was basically like "Ok, so I guess I should just grab my 'Photoshop Secrets' book, record all the examples in there, and sell them... because that's literally all this person is doing."

I mean, where there's a market, why not sell stuff I suppose... this just seems really odd.

I have an action to create a frame for TPF... anyone wanna buy it? A bargain at $25! :)

5. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Selling actions and scripts for Adobe products is fine. I don't buy them but I could see myself recommending them in some cases.

6. KD5NRH

KD5NRH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If anyone's interested, I have a template for a blank document in Word. $3,175.99 without manual or support.

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm I am definatly interested in that black document!
    send me a pm about it - with a free sample!

As for selling actins - would this be to do with that certain ad? (which is showing right now for me ;)) I, personally think these are aimed at those looking for a certain effect and are wanting a quick method of achiveing it. If I were after a certain effect I would search and pester forums and chances are someone would know the information or a good starting point - that would take time.
    I think also their have an air of professionalism so I can well see people buying them - not me, but I can see the attraction

8. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You may think it's cheesy but for the thousands of pro wedding photogs who use them, it saves a bunch of time. Sure you can take the time to find out how to do each step in Photoshop, but if you're shooting 30-50 weddings a year you may not have time to take a class or read a book on the subject. When you're a wedding photographer, speed of workflow is very important. The nice thing about those actions is you can either use a little bit or a lot and you can combine them too. I'm not saying you should use them all the time, because I think you shouldn't depend on them 100%, but they are helpful.

9. djrichie28

djrichie28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If there is a photographer working 30-50 weddings a year, I'm sure they have mastered photoshop by themselves to gain that reputation from their portfolio to get them that many bookings.

10. EricBrian

EricBrian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I found one that I wanted and if it cost what I was willing to pay, then yes, I would buy it.

11. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't bet on it...

Kevin Kubota is making a fortune on his action sets. It isn't all amateurs that are buying them.

As I said before, I'm sure they don't use all of them or all the time, but I'm sure (and I've seen proof) they use them and it's not just the lower priced (below $2500) photographers either.

On the other hand though, if you are shooting upwards of 50 weddings a year, you may have someone working for you that does strictly post-processing and that person probably has an extensive knowledge of the all mighty Photoshop. Depends on the photographer though.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  12. manaheim

Photos OK to edit
    Exaaaaaaaaactly.

Yup, has to do with the <cough> certain ad. I resisted posting about it because I didn't want to make fun of anyone who was supporting the board, but after a while the whole thing was just rubbing me raw.

I guess I can buy the "spending money to reduce time spent" thing. However, see my response to Mike...

Yeah now this is one I don't get... if you're shooting that many weddings and you need this effect, then you really need to learn it yourself. This is my opinion, but I wouldn't want my product going out with someone elses effect on it. Nor would I want every product I put out to look exactly the same.

Of course, I also don't buy greeting cards because I have a problem giving someone else a "personal note" that someone else wrote. Clearly I am in the minority on that one, however, so perhaps I am in the minority here.