Ok, I'm just gonna come out and say it...

...and Props and Thank-You to the companies that support our little community here.

manaheim,

I think you're misunderstanding the software industry. When computers first became "available" there were no software vendors. Later on we got operating systems with them but for programs you either had to write your own, or pay someone to skew you up some custom code. So they (computers) remained a tool of geekdom where no one could use them except for custom jobs - usually specific database applications. There were usually just programmers and corporate users. As "software applications" became more general purpose more people became users - personal users. Today it's no different and if you want something that you don't know how to make or don't have the time to make it's wonderful to be able to buy it. Scripts and actions are only an extension of that policy. Sure someone who has spent the time and knows very well how to do it might scoff but the guy who wants black-box button level automation and has no time for anything else would be mad if scoffers caused a gap in product availability that he happened to need.

I think PhotoShop and especially PhotoShop in the hands of a professional photographer (most of whom are PS dunces in my experience), under that environment has created a demand for such add-ons. Keep in mind there are those code-savvy warriors who scoff consistently at the majority of PS plug-ins as well. You're only just one level down from them but IMO it's the same thing. Those who understand the niche/need and seise the opportunity prosper. And good on them for it too imho.

heh, well I daresay I understand the industry since I'm strapped to it and work in it all the time, but I think I'm being a bit elitist about it... or at least naive, despite my experience in it.

You make a great point. I'll go back to my cave and grumble about how some people could be replaced with a very small shell script. :wink:

hehehe, no harm done here. If anything it was an interesting look at various levels of both software and competence.

As the saying goes... "Build it and they will come."

manaheim, don't worry I'm sure you're not in the minority on this one.

I do hope though that the pros out there (wedding, portrait, commercial, etc.) don't fall into the trap of depending on these actions 100% of the time. There are a lot of them out there using them.

One thing to ponder...

Kevin Kubota is a member of WPPI and is a speaker at their yearly convention. I would have to say that he also has a booth at the trade show. How many of those photographers that have been a member of WPPI and in the business for some time (years) are using these actions?

Isn't selling photoshop actions and presets... just a little... um... cheesy?

Not sure Elements can even use "actions and presets" (whatever they are). What is your motivation to start this thread?

If selling these things is legal, I do not see a reason not to do it.

This is like a bunch of non-photographer getting together and saying "charging $3000 to take a bunch of photos is highway robbery." Everyone paying it so it can't be robbery.

Personally, I have enough worries without concerning myself how others try to make money. As long as it's legal, to each their own.

Not sure Elements can even use "actions and presets" (whatever they are). What is your motivation to start this thread?

If selling these things is legal, I do not see a reason not to do it.

This is like a bunch of non-photographer getting together and saying "charging $3000 to take a bunch of photos is highway robbery." Everyone paying it so it can't be robbery.

Personally, I have enough worries without concerning myself how others try to make money. As long as it's legal, to each their own.

Well, that's another question entirely... understanding how people make money is kinda the key to... well... understanding how to make money.

The very fact that I get paid for my photography came out of a discussion very like this one, where the first thing I said was "Oh my god, are you serious? He gets paid $xxxx per job... for that? Hell, I could do a lot better than that."

Of course, you have to combine that with my general personality, which is to become rather twitchy when I see people make money off of things that do not match up with my political or sociological views on things. :lol:

eh its my opinion, from my experience, that people would rather buy an inferior product that get a superior free one. For some reason I guess it makes them feel like they got the better one.

I should do an experiment one day, with two equal products. Tell people they are different - one is free, the other 50$. No doubt the 50$ one will get the better review.

Anyway, I stopped being surprised years ago about what people will sell, and what people will buy.

eh its my opinion, from my experience, that people would rather buy an inferior product that get a superior free one. For some reason I guess it makes them feel like they got the better one.

I should do an experiment one day, with two equal products. Tell people they are different - one is free, the other 50$. No doubt the 50$ one will get the better review.

Anyway, I stopped being surprised years ago about what people will sell, and what people will buy.

You mean like a brand name shirt @ Macys for $70 - identical shirt, different color @ Costco for $19. Wife tells me to not waste money buying generic Costco junk when I got the Macys one from her for birthday. I was saving for 70-200 at that time so I just put shirt down and kept walking :wink:

Not trying to start a Nikon vs Canon ... I can't tell what is what with Nikon. With Canon it's "white" or "red rubber band" - sell me a junk lens, but please put red rubber band on it, and I'm good to go :thumbup:

There has to be some value on them to someone as they sell pretty good. All I have to say is if you don't like them don't buy hem other people buy use and like them so be it.

What everyone needs to remember is, is that all the actions in the world will not turn a crappy photo into a good photo.;)

Most reactions

Back