Ok let me know if these are better.......

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Kimberly81, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Kimberly81

Kimberly81 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried some new stuff today. I shot in raw format and tried not to cut off too man fingers and toes unless it was needed for a nice face shot. I was also playing with some black and white tones. Let me know what you think :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With the exception of the last one where I think you've blown some highlights on her forehead, I think this is a wonderful collection. I like #1 and #3 the best.

3. Kimberly81

Kimberly81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah the last one is completely blown on the right side :( Is there a way to avoid this when shooting on a more sunny day? I wanted her out of the shade for a few shots but I can't seem to get this situation right. Thanks for your comments :)

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shooting in harsh sunlight is difficult, at best. I'm not much of a people-photographer, so I hope others pipe in here. My guess would be that the best way to do this would be to expose for the highlights (decrease your exposure here) and use fill lighting on the right side of her face so it isn't lost in shadow.

5. Kimberly81

Kimberly81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the tips, what is fill lighting? Is that like the use of a reflector?

6. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, I was going to suggest a reflector ... but you beat me to the punch. Fill lighting could be done with an off-camera flash pointed at the right side of her face (with the power cranked back a bit), but I think the reflector might work better -- I hope someone else pops in here who knows more ....

You should read some of http://www.strobist.blogspot.com --- it is the best lighting reference I've found on the web.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/09/lighting-102-31-balance-flashsun.html

7. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    4 is exceptional. Nicely exposed, she looks her age, and its a great pose. I think most of these are nice... the backgrounds are a bit distracting..

8. AdrianBetti

AdrianBetti TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally enjoy portraits of children not looking right into the lens of the camera. Try to pose a candid.

9. mmcduffie1

mmcduffie1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    3, 4 and 6 are awesome - nice shots

10. maytay20

maytay20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can also buy a pop up diffuser. They work wonders in bright daylight. I think #6 would be perfect if you had a diffuser to her left then a reflector to her right and maybe some fill flash to brighten up her face. It amazes me how many awesome photos you get of her. I have a 7 and 3 yr old and I get nothing close to this. They either cry or just have very tight jawed smiles.

11. Kimberly81

Kimberly81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sounds great where can I find a pop up diffuser and reflector for a great price?

Thanks for the great advice!

12. Aye-non Oh-non Imus

Aye-non Oh-non Imus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You have some very nice photos here. What the other have said about fill and reflected light goes a long way to get a better than usual photo. Time of day is also a consideration when shooting outdoors.

One thing that hasn't been mention and I want to bring up delicately, is the discoloration on her hands. #4 & #5 in particular. I'm assuming that these are childhood abrasions and will fade / go away with time. A few of mine did. I would consider to take some time to at least reduce the injury with post processing. I believe in being true to the scene, but let's face it, she will not want to see that in twenty years...... ermmm, in ten years...... okay, in five years when she is having boyfriends over. Takes you only a few minutes and saves her years. Just an observation.