OK, let's see what happens

PNA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need suggestions and where better to get them, but from TPF members, of course.

Here’s the scenario…. I was brought up on film, B&W in fact, and my heart is still there. Recently I purchased a new F5 and truly love the feel and weight of the unit. Compared to my F3 w/motor the F5 is a joy to use. I also have a D70 and as we all know digital has replaced film as the accepted medium today. The D70 is also a complete and exciting camera to use and when editing with PS….well, WOW. ;)

Now to the issues.... B&W film is not readily available here so I must order online, no big deal, but it's something else to deal with. I haven’t developed film for ages, but I can get the necessary tank, chemicals, etc. online. Also no big deal. As for a scanner, I have an HP 3970 flatbed which is slow and sometimes not to accurate, a good upgrade might be a Nikon 5000. Or…. Have Sam’s develop the film and put it on disk which limits the type of B&W film to C-41, ISO (ASA) 400 and reduces resolution quality. :meh:

OK, now do I order film and developer, upgrade the scanner and go retro or upgrade the D70 to a D200 or D2Xs, put the F5 on the shelf in a dust cover next to the F3 and go digital! :confused:

I’m looking for your thoughts, thanks. :wink:

"Yes."

I'm a firm believer in using what you have. Use the film of course; it's a fabulous medium, and it'd be a shame to let those cameras go to waste. Order the tanks, and the trays, and the new scanner (but use the scanner you have until you get the new one.) Or, even get a film scanner--I'm sure there are good used units on the market for fairly cheap, and maybe even new ones, now.

Use the digital, of course! It's a fast and effective workflow, and lets you correct errors while you can still capture the scene. The images can be edited, as necessary, with powerful (and often free!) software, and you can go from "click" to "share" practically in minutes. Plus, that software can be used to convert your prints to digital, so you can share them, as well.

If you're doing commercial work, you get the best of both worlds. The things you can't do with one, you can do with the other (although they've both got each other covered pretty well). Plus, when you're on the job and one camera breaks, you can switch to the other and still get work done.

But whatever you do, use every tool in the box. Each tool has something it's good for, and you'd never want to hammer a screw.

JamesD said:
Each tool has something it's good for, and you'd never want to hammer a screw.

Ya mean like this......?????!!!!!

7985-HammerandScrewTPF.jpg

:lmao:

Most reactions

Back