Ok Now Look What You Started

drgibson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well since I saw the first HDR image here I knew it was something I had to try. The issue for me thou is I have never used Photoshop. For the last 12 years I have used Corel and trust me they way the work is very different. I have had access to Photoshop and have attempted to change over but I'm too impatient.

Anyway I decided I need to attempt this the other day while I was out on the side of the freeway taking some Bluebonnet Photos. So out comes the tripod, then the macro and cable release. So here I am on the side of the highway in the wind, trying to capture this bluebonnet at multiple exposure settings while it was in the same place. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box. I should have started with something easy like a 2 year old after eating Easter candy all day long. anyway as the wind would die down I'd snap away. When that part of the mission was accomplished the next began, Install Photoshop CS2 the try to figure out how to make an HDR image. Note to Adobe: A help file on this would really be nice.

After several attempts at importing images then selecting the ones that lined up the best this is what I ended up with. It is four images.

Shot with Fuji S2 105mm F2.8 Tripod

BluebonnetHDR.jpg

You certainly set yourself a challenge for your first HDR. I'm not sure close-ups of flowers really lends itself to HDRs. It would be nice to see a correctly exposed single shot of this flower to see how much detail the HDR has brought out.

Hmmm :scratch: ... that yellow centre tip of the bluebonnet is blown-out in the HDR, too ... like it would be in a "normal" photo if exposed so that it would blow out ... which is why here I can't quite see the benefit of an HDR ... I believe you could have created this photo with a single shot, too. Your exposures 2 and 3 look like more promising foundations for some PS work on this flower to bring out a very pleasing photo of it than your HDR is in the end.

Sorry if I sound negative.
Don't mean to be that...

That's ok I had the same thought, the top does annoy me and I believe that the different DOF's and the lack of shadows and texture make it hard for this to be a viable HDR. It is a start in the learning process. At least it got me to use Photoshop even if it is in a limited capacity. ;)

Lucky you to be having a PS version that already allows you to do HDR with it, too. I have to rely on Photomatix and am not overly happy with it - but that may also be my own fault, I have only so far DABBLED with HDR but don't really KNOW what I am doing there. (My ancient PS 6.0 does not offer me the function).

Well I reverted to my "Mad Corel Photo-Paint Skilz" and ended up with this. Needless to say I like this much better then the HDR. So will I try again? Yeah I love the chalenge and potential HDR has.

CorelBB.jpg

That's a much more pleasing result. I think HDR works best in situations where (1) you would normally use a graduated filter to balance the sky with foreground...and (2) in situations where everything is in sharp focus.

Just for fun, I've used photomatix to create an HDR from your 4 files. I'll post it here if you like? I think you'll realise how good your first attempt at an HDR using photoshop is.

I like Photomatix to create HDR

Here it is. You have a lot of control with colours, contrasts and so on in photomatix, but you cannot isolate one layer to get sharp(er) focus from the background.
DSCF2195_11_88_11_92_11_92_11-1.jpg

Hmm it has harder edges the the single I did in Corel but still doesn't quite have the 3d look. Still nice job I may need to invest in Photomax.

My result with photomatix pro
DSCF2188_11%5b1%5dAnd3More.jpg

Most reactions

Back