ok so heres the deal

Eddie_uv777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My cousins getting married soon, and I only have a Nikon D40 18-55MM lens, that's about it and It's a great cam and all, but I hear a lot more goes into wedding photography, what are the BEST tips to go by when shooting weddings with my current set up, Shooting Mode, Etc.

Wow. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say while its not impossible to do what you're trying to do - your results might be a bit mixed.

Are you interested at all in spending any money on getting more tools, or are you just there to take "pics"?

well If I had some cash then yeah, sure why not but right now it'd be my first wedding photography attemp and I'd like to see where it's at and also where I can go with it

I'm sure others will agree with me when I say that you should not photograph this wedding with your limited experience and equipment. It's their one and only wedding day, and they need a professional photographer. There is no re-shoot.

If you want to become a wedding photographer, talk to local guys and see if you can do an apprenticeship.

I'm sure others will agree with me when I say that you should not photograph this wedding with your limited experience and equipment.

Or go IN ADDITION TO a pro, and ask them questions while you're shooting the wedding too. I did this at my sister-in-laws wedding, got a few good shots, asked questions, decided I didn't like shooting weddings, and my sister-in-law got a handful of decent photos for free. :)

well I just want some good tip's ya know? I'm not going to be there photography and make a album, they just want some more shots and I wanna experience some wedding photography

well I just want some good tip's ya know? I'm not going to be there photography and make a album, they just want some more shots and I wanna experience some wedding photography

Does this mean you are not going to be their Photographer?. You are just going to be there for extra shots?.

As I read it, the guy says he's not going to be their photographer (even if some of the words are misused) . . . but, even if the whole affair is on a budget (maybe bride and groom can't afford a photographer (or a florist or a caterer or whatever . . . I couldn't afford those things when the Mrs. and I tied the know . . . we still cherish and have framed the shots made by whomever with my Yashica totally manual 35 mm cam), he/she asked for advice on taking shots - not permission to do the gig.

. . . all these dire warnings, but not one bit of advice.

I am not qualified to give advice, but would be interested in hearing/reading some. The negative messages are of little interest to me (probably others, also).

Caruso

Im also fixing to experience the joy of shooting my first wedding. and i seen that your not the primary photographer so you have a little room to play. I assume you know this couple so they should know they are allowing you some practice. I would personally in your situation use the fact of knowing the couple to get more up close and personal shots. with brides maids, in the dressing room, ect.

good luck, i look forward to seeing your results.

remember, everyone starts somewhere.

. . . all these dire warnings, but not one bit of advice.

I am not qualified to give advice, but would be interested in hearing/reading some. The negative messages are of little interest to me (probably others, also).

Caruso

There has been advice given here. The advice is, don't try and and be the primary shooter at a wedding if you have no experience, and try and do an apprenticeship or tag along with a pro wedding photographer to learn from. This kind of thing you learn by doing, not by reading tips on a forum.

There's few tips that can be offered in your position and equipment base. In the professional portrait and wedding forum there's some sticky threads about weddings and portraits. But if you are not the primary photographer all you really can do is snap pics while the main photographer does his work.

I would offer this tip though go find your own photos at the wedding. While the wedding photographer is posing the bride and groom run off to get a photo of the parents or the kids playing, or try and get as far from the scene as possible and get a wide angle of all the action. Having your own set of photos is better than picking up the crumbling leftovers of what the wedding photographer just did.

I did a wedding today and I can tell you there is nothing more annoying than a family member jumping in front of the primary photographer because he too wants a photo. The reality is at that point the posed group will most likely have lost interest in standing in the same spot anyway.

Most reactions

Back