OK, so I want a second body for my birds

Under certain conditions the d800e may be sharper than the d800, but it isn't better at higher iso

You reminded of a chickadee I shot the other day from about 12 feet. There was no light so I shot this at 12800 (high 1) on the D7100 with the Tamron. Maybe I won't get better results with the D800...
Chickadee 10_7 ISO 12800 by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

I don't bat an eye shoot high ISO with my D600:

Tufted Titmouse
by The Braineack, on Flickr

backlit and 1600 ISO

this was 2000 ISO

Blue Jay
by The Braineack, on Flickr

but when they get further away, and I'm forced to crop, even at 900ISO things get iffy:

Hawk in Flight by The Braineack, on Flickr

view this at full size: All sizes | Hawk in Flight | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

it's not great. The IQ of the D600 is great, but the reach sucks and if you really have to crop in, it shows.

Eagerly waiting your review on the D800... congrats.

I couldn't justify going to the D800 from a D7100. I found shooting in DX mode awkward and ended up just shooting FF and cropping. I couldn't tell much difference between a cropped D800 image and a D7100 image (shooting indoor football). I'll post some sample images tonight when i get home..

My new crazy thought... is to sell my D7100 and pick up a D750. Then i'll also pick up a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 CX (Nikon 1) when i need some zooomage (~190-810mm equivalent). My local rental store should have one in any day now to play with.

You'll love it. Maybe not LOVE it for birds.... But it's just such a joy to use. Makes my old D7000 feel... Lame.

Eagerly waiting your review on the D800... congrats.

I couldn't justify going to the D800 from a D7100. I found shooting in DX mode awkward and ended up just shooting FF and cropping. I couldn't tell much difference between a cropped D800 image and a D7100 image (shooting indoor football). I'll post some sample images tonight when i get home..

My new crazy thought... is to sell my D7100 and pick up a D750. Then i'll also pick up a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 CX (Nikon 1) when i need some zooomage (~190-810mm equivalent). My local rental store should have one in any day now to play with.

The 70-300 nikon 1 lens on a d750 won't work that way. Or was that just confusing wording? You must have a nikon 1 camera?

The 70-300 nikon 1 lens on a d750 won't work that way. Or was that just confusing wording? You must have a nikon 1 camera?

I have a Nikon 1 camera also :)

Sorry for the delay getting back to you Kris, you will love the 800 on those days when it isn't as bright or when you know you can get a little closer. In the hands of the right person, that being you, I think the results will be amazing. And you will have the better control set that you have been missing since the D300s.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!
Sorry for the delay getting back to you Kris, you will love the 800 on those days when it isn't as bright or when you know you can get a little closer. In the hands of the right person, that being you, I think the results will be amazing. And you will have the better control set that you have been missing since the D300s.
No problem Bill, When I briefly played with one the other morning it just felt right in my hands. (the D800, lol) Mine already shipped and it will be here on Friday. The cards just fell into place and for the price I couldn't resist anymore. I just ordered a DSTE BG with a EN-EL18 so I can get my 6 FPS in crop. The buffer will be better than the D7100 for sure. I will be giving up some resolution, but it will be nice to have 2 good bodies to choose from. It will also be fun with my Tamron 70-200 F2.8 and my 180 Macro. I also have an older Tamron 28-105 F2.8, but the contacts are flaky and sometimes I have to use it as a full MF lens. So I have all my bases covered since I really don't have any DX lenses besides my 17-50 F2.8. I'm sure I will have a blast with it and if not I can just sell it and be ok. If only it was a D400 coming my way, lol...

I intercepted the D800 at the post office as soon as they opened. Got to spend a few hours with it. So far so good. Didn't have time to do ISO tests, but I can tell shadow noise is much better. Took me a while to get AF fine tune in place. Think it is around -5. So just some test shots for now. I mostly stayed in 1.2x crop mode and it seemed pretty decent...

A little soft before I fine tuned it..
Testing Nikon D800 :) by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

IQ seems pretty good to me

Most reactions

New Topics

Back