ok to copy packages?

butt hurt photographer cant handle competition.

ignore him -- edit text so it's not copied verbatim.
Really? If someone copied verbatim, part of my website on which I'd put a lot of time and effort, I'd be a litttle annoyed as well. I don't see it as something worth the expense of going to court over, but if a friendly, "Hey, d'ya mind not being quite so blatant when you steal from me?" didn't do the trick, I would invest in a lawyer to send a letter.

copyright violation: my husband & I own a wedding dj & photography company.

Legally, I guess we would have to find out the answer in court. Ethically, it's a BIG no no for me.

I would tend to agree here - legally the other guy doesn't have much to work with - but it's bad form to copy someone else's stuff like that. I wouldn't appreciate it if someone did it to me, so I can certainly understand why the guy is upset.

Whenever anyone's lawyer talks to you you want your lawyer to talk to them - and if you don't have a lawyer you find one.

Legal talk is not the same as casual talk and a good lawyer can make a person say things that they don't actually mean. Further they might talk you into admitting to something without you realising the full implications of what you have said.

How far this might go depends on a lot of things; be professional, keep a record of all communications and get proper professional legal advice. A good lawyer is a big help, they can make sure that your contracts are sound; that your protected in cases like this and more.

Really? If someone copied verbatim, part of my website on which I'd put a lot of time and effort, I'd be a litttle annoyed as well. I don't see it as something worth the expense of going to court over, but if a friendly, "Hey, d'ya mind not being quite so blatant when you steal from me?" didn't do the trick, I would invest in a lawyer to send a letter.

i dont disagree with any of this.

It seems possibly illegal, unethical and unprofessional (and the other person's use of profanity is certainly unprofessional). It may have not been your/your husband's intention but it seems like a mistake was made in taking and using another company's photos or information.

This seems like an infringement of copyright, taking and using someone's else's 'intellectual property' or IP (their photographs or written work).

Those articles are one person/one lawyer's opinion; you might need to consult with a lawyer yourself to decide how to proceed. Get professional advice and information from professional photographers organizations like American Society of Media Photographers or PPA. There are also wedding photographers professional associations.

I would suggest you also develop your own forms and use your own photographs to promote your business instead of taking/using other businesses' information (or intellectual property). ASMP has some sample forms and guidelines.

Legally, I guess we would have to find out the answer in court. Ethically, it's a BIG no no for me.

I would tend to agree here - legally the other guy doesn't have much to work with - but it's bad form to copy someone else's stuff like that. I wouldn't appreciate it if someone did it to me, so I can certainly understand why the guy is upset.

I completely agree he has a reason to be displeased & I don't deny being in the wrong.
Considering that my husband immediately took it down, & offered many sincere apologies I feel like the situation could have been addressed better then it was.

I completely agree he has a reason to be displeased & I don't deny being in the wrong.
Considering that my husband immediately took it down, & offered many sincere apologies I feel like the situation could have been addressed better then it was.

Yup.. no worries. Might be nice if people could conduct themselves like adults every once in a while. Of course, it might spell doom for the Internet.. lol

IMHO, it shouldn't have been copied to begin with. :)

IMHO, it shouldn't have been copied to begin with. :)

I definitely agree.
Like I said, if I would have known my husband just copied & pasted it, it never would have been published.

Now my question is, how much do you transform a copy/paste paragraph before it's considered "safe?"
when writing my contract for example, I would search many different photographers contracts to get an idea of exactly what should be covered. While copying & pasting was still done, a lot of the vocabulary was changed, mixing in my own wording. Does it have to be verbatim to be considered infringement?

Now my question is, how much do you transform a copy/paste paragraph before it's considered "safe?"
when writing my contract for example, I would search many different photographers contracts to get an idea of exactly what should be covered. While copying & pasting was still done, a lot of the vocabulary was changed, mixing in my own wording. Does it have to be verbatim to be considered infringement?
Sorry, but I'm going to rebut with a question. The item in question is the language regarding photobooth packages and pricing, right? If you only copied their packages and pricing language, why not just create your own language and pricing based on YOUR photobooth and experience?

In your case I would just throw out the existing text ASAP and start over from scratch.

Anything less and it could seem that you could be considered uncooperative in changing your text.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm going to rebut with a question. The item in question is the language regarding photobooth packages and pricing, right? If you only copied their packages and pricing language, why not just create your own language and pricing based on YOUR photobooth and experience?

Again, I agree & it wasn't my decision to copy&paste someone else's photo package, I had no clue my husband took the info from someone else.

Most reactions

Back