ok to copy packages?

I completely agree he has a reason to be displeased & I don't deny being in the wrong.
Considering that my husband immediately took it down, & offered many sincere apologies I feel like the situation could have been addressed better then it was.

IMHO, it shouldn't have been copied to begin with. :)

Yup.. one minute your copying and pasting off somebody's website, next thing you know your downloading illegal copies of movies, pretty soon it's 3 am and your running around without a shirt on being featured on an episode of COPS where your explaining to the officer that you were just holding that 5 lbs of crack for a friend.

Happens all the time from what I understand.

Now my question is, how much do you transform a copy/paste paragraph before it's considered "safe?"
when writing my contract for example, I would search many different photographers contracts to get an idea of exactly what should be covered. While copying & pasting was still done, a lot of the vocabulary was changed, mixing in my own wording. Does it have to be verbatim to be considered infringement?
Sorry, but I'm going to rebut with a question. The item in question is the language regarding photobooth packages and pricing, right? If you only copied their packages and pricing language, why not just create your own language and pricing based on YOUR photobooth and experience?

Again, I agree & it wasn't my decision to copy&paste someone else's photo package, I had no clue my husband took the info from someone else.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that your question of how much do you transform before it's considered safe is irrelevant. You should be creating your own. You have your own business, your own style. Have confidence in you. Don't copy. Own it! :smile:

Now my question is, how much do you transform a copy/paste paragraph before it's considered "safe?"
In your case, I recommend that you DO NOT try to copy any portion of any legal document. Just go to a lawyer and get it done. Pay the man.

Doing self-help legal work is not going to save you any grief and may make things worse.

Last edited:
Again, I agree & it wasn't my decision to copy&paste someone else's photo package, I had no clue my husband took the info from someone else.
You're in it together. That means both the good and the bad.

I wouldn't be copying and pasting. If you see something on someone's website you like, you could probably consider it 'inspiration' and maybe do something similar but not take info. directly from their website.

My photographs are my time, my effort, and my ability going into my work. Same for your business, no one else should be taking your photos or information and using it. You'd be better off to create your own.

I agree, if you were willing to take down the information I would think that would have resolved it, but it obviously didn't. If I saw unauthorized use of any of my work I would probably pursue the copyright violation, but for me, a takedown would be what I'd expect and that should be the end of it. There could be people that might be more inclined to try to sue (or cuss you out... or badmouth you online, etc.).

I think it helps to get informed to help you manage your business to prevent problems like this as much as possible. You might look up the Small Business Administration (can't think of the site but it's a .gov, sba.gov maybe?). I don't know if it covers copyright but might give you some guidelines and resources.

when writing my contract for example, I would search many different photographers contracts to get an idea of exactly what should be covered. While copying & pasting was still done, a lot of the vocabulary was changed, mixing in my own wording. Does it have to be verbatim to be considered infringement?
Sorry, but I'm going to rebut with a question. The item in question is the language regarding photobooth packages and pricing, right? If you only copied their packages and pricing language, why not just create your own language and pricing based on YOUR photobooth and experience?

You and your husband both have an interest in the business. so you both have a legal burden for this. You guys obviously need to work on your communication. It doesn't matter at all what you would have done; what matters is what was done. And taking it down after the fact doesn't absolve you from putting it up in the first place. If you break a law and when you caught, say "oops, sorry" that sure doesn't mean you won't get arrested. It's the same with copyright infringement. You did it, you got caught, and all you have done is remove the infringement. You have absolutely no right to cop an attitude. Did you try talking to the infringement victim and apologize to them? They may not sue, but they have the right to, and they are in the right here. You should be sorry not because you got caught but because you are in the wrong. You really should try and make nice with them; if it gets legal it won't help your business' reputation.

There is no set amount, and "safe" is decided by the court once you and the copyright owner get to that point.

Learn about the Fair Use Doctrine, but always remember that Fair Use is not cut & dried.

there's NOTHING Fair Use about her swiping a competitor's text and pricing for her own commercial business. no need to muddy the waters.

I was going to stay out of this...but this question really seems to suggest to me that this experience has not actually taught you anything. You say you "had no idea" that your husband had copied & pasted someone else's info on your website--and yet, here you are, asking, basically, "so, how much do we have to alter our plagiarism before nobody can sue us?"

There is nothing wrong with RESEARCHING other photographer's websites, collecting information about what they charge, how they market themselves. But that information should be just that, research; it shouldn't end up on your website, in any form. What goes on your website should be YOUR content.

Most reactions

Back