Okay how about these-Engagement shoot

these are much better than your indoor shots!!! you need to work on your posing....if it looks awkward when you set it up or they seem uncomfortable, dont bother taking the shot, just re -position.

- she's not as big as you seem to have made her out to be, heck, id be happy to be that small! shooting chubby or plus size women is really not as hard as it seems...try higher angles and half hiding them behidn their partner, or a structure..i'm plus size, i know!
- your first shot is quite nice, but it would have benefitted from a shallower dof to throw the background out of focus, then it doesnt compete as much....
#3 he looks awkward and you are too close to them....back away and use your zoom....appears like you were using wide angle up close...a bit distorted looking....same goes for several other shots..you are just too close for comfort

there is one shot where she is leaning back and has a double chin....leaning back is NEVER flattering on anyone..and always be conscience of having them lift their chin

#8 is your best...i llike it..if you can clone more wall to the top and get rid of the trees, it would be better....also try to watch the angle you shoot at when you have strong lines in the photo, so they wont be distorted...if you were square on to the wall you wouldnt have the distortion

-add more contrast to your b& w's

11 is another 'almost really good' shot..he looks good, nice pose, nice gaze in his eyes....but her with a solid colour shirt sleeve would have been better, than your 'blow out' overexposure on her skin wouldnt appear so bad.... darken the picture down, clone out the blow out and it will be a much better shot that they will like.

keep working on the exposure....that really is your key starting point...and natural light is working much better for you

i think carrie's photos are great! especially her wedding photos. if she wasnt that great, she wouldn't have 5 weddings booked and 3 family portraits booked.
(www.genophotography.com)

If they are great to you, thet's all that matters. I would, however, say aim a little higher. And since she seems to be a friend maybe she would be willing to "tutor" you in between shoots. Or better yet, maybe SHE can take you as a second shooter on a couple of her weddings. But, be prepared to pass her quickly because she isn't "above average".
All this coming from someone as "below average" as myself.

But, yes these photos are much better.:heart:

#3 photo---I was about 5 feet in front of them and I took this one with the zooms (my camera doesn't blur the background..sucks I know...I have tried many a times), and I have another where they look like they are further away and more of the background is showing. This photo they were so happy with that they used it as their engagement photo in their save the date cards.
(I dont have any extra lens for my camera)
#8 photo---I cheated and found a pose like that on someone's elses photography website and tried it myself. This one is my favorite as well.
#11---his shirt was white and said "groom to be" and her shirt was the one that was supposed to match his except in black that said "bride" but I agree, she should've worn a longer sleeved shirt to really match

about carrie, someone in this thread/section forum said that her photos weren't much better than mine when in reality they are a ton better than mine and i will be a 2nd shooter in some of the weddings come this summer.

i think carrie's photos are great! especially her wedding photos. if she wasnt that great, she wouldn't have 5 weddings booked and 3 family portraits booked.
(www.genophotography.com)

I'm sorry but if these are the photos of someone in business 9 years, maybe you should find better mentor. Strive to be a Jessica Claire, a Jen Bebb, or a Skye Hardewick or an Amy Wenzel. Because honestly, her photos aren't really all that much better than yours, despite what you may think and if that is all you strive to be, then you dont have far to go.

we must take notice of allsmiles cause she is the best tog around

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

or so she thinks!!

allsmiles...i am looking at your website and the photo of the boy on the front page looks OVERexposed and the lil girls shirt is way too bright (it takes away from her essense)
there is one girl in a tutu that she is blown out or her skin is over exposed and one girl touching her mommys belly with buidings in back...she is almost blending in with the background because it is too bright...those are just examples of what i find wrong with your work so your work isn't perfect either

oh my god.

you cant say that about allsmiles

she is a genius

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am gonna start this post by saying I don't always like ALL of allsmiles photos, I see casts in some of them. But she is way ahead of me in her skills in technique.
In some of her editing style I see her take skin tones and colors to the point of over exposure but not over it. It's a high key image I havent been able to achieve yet but like. There is a difference between artistic style and back photography that blows out the subject in camera.

but you never say that when she posts a pic you all just go '' ah thats lovely'' like you are afraid to say anything else

theresa...you are just starting to be as rude as the people you say are picking on you....take the criticism...or get out...dont start picking on other people....this post was about YOUR images...no one elses

#3 photo---I was about 5 feet in front of them and I took this one with the zooms (my camera doesn't blur the background..sucks I know...I have tried many a times), and I have another where they look like they are further away and more of the background is showing. This photo they were so happy with that they used it as their engagement photo in their save the date cards.
(I dont have any extra lens for my camera)
#8 photo---I cheated and found a pose like that on someone's elses photography website and tried it myself. This one is my favorite as well.
#11---his shirt was white and said "groom to be" and her shirt was the one that was supposed to match his except in black that said "bride" but I agree, she should've worn a longer sleeved shirt to really match

about carrie, someone in this thread/section forum said that her photos weren't much better than mine when in reality they are a ton better than mine and i will be a 2nd shooter in some of the weddings come this summer.

Oh No!
I didn't say that they aren't much better...THEY ARE!
I just said that she isn't "above average"
I'm also saying that you'd be able to surpass her work in a short time with a little effort. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back