Oklahoma City Memorial (17 photos)

castrol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
On our way back from our yearly, national car meet, we figured we were just
too close to the Memorial site not to stop and experience it. It was a very
moving experience. Quite a bit more than I expected actually.

The reflecting pool resides where the street used to be. This was where the truck with the bomb in it was placed.

DSC_4636.JPG

The chairs reside where the building used to be. Each chair has a persons name on it. One for each person killed. Some
of the chairs are smaller than others. Those represent the children. The pine trees, at full height will be about 90 feet
tall, equivalent to a 9 story building, just like the one destroyed by the blast.

DSC_4642.JPG

Each entrance at either end of the reflecting pool has a time on it. 9:01 and 9:03. The blast occured between these at
9:02 am. It takes about a minute to walk from one end to the other.

DSC_4639.JPG

DSC_4647.JPG

DSC_4643.JPG

DSC_4648.JPG

Each chair has a name engraved in the glass at the bottom. They are situated in rows corresponding to the floors they
were on when they were killed. Notice some chairs are smaller than others.

DSC_4662.JPG

DSC_4658.JPG

Sometimes we forget that there were people involved, and they all had faces and names and families just like the rest
of us. These photos and mementos helped provide a rememberance of that. This is part of the original fence that was
put in place in the days after the blast. They decided to keep it as part of the memorial.

DSC_4674.JPG

DSC_4667.JPG

DSC_4675.JPG

DSC_4696.JPG

Across the street is "Jesus wept."

DSC_4683.JPG

This is part of the original foundation that was left after the demolition. Above it hangs the survivors list, as this is not
only a memorial to the ones who died, but to the ones left scarred for life by being a part of this American nightmare.

DSC_4702.JPG

DSC_4700.JPG

DSC_4704.JPG

I can only imagine what it felt lke to be there. It had an impact on me just looking at the pictures. The memorial was well thought out. As bittersweet as it is, it looks beautiful.
My Aunt lives minutes from where the blast was and her husband was suppose to be in the building but for some reason he wasn't (can't remember exactly why.) They ended up adopting a little girl whos parents where killed in the blast.

Im from Oklahoma. Ardmore originally. not that close.. but pretty close at the same time. These are awesome. glad to see that they were worth photographing.

I was right... I think I have posted pictures 4 times now. I haven't posted ANY
of them in the right section. Heh. :)

Those are awesome photos. Glad you got to experience it, & that you shared with us. :)

Amazing photography. You capture this very well. What a moving series of photos.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back