Olavi Uusivirta live @ Lutakko

Tuonenlapsi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was fortunate enough to get a dslr inside a renowned gig place in my hometown where a Finnish rock star (a star in Finland at least) had a gig. I really didn't love his music but my friend dragged me along, so I thought to get some photos out of it. (Shot on 1st of May, 2015)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Critique is very welcome!

Most concert pictures look sort of the same and viewers accept strange colors and lock of focus.
#1 the backup guitarist is in focus but clipped off and the lead OOF and more prominent. Looks like missed focus.
#2, #3 are OK but pretty run of the mill concert shots.
#4 is quite nice, lots of elements and the guitarist is the main subject.
Where he sits in the frame, his sharpness rteally emphasizes his subordinate relationshio to the singer.
#4 is very nice, I think.

L

Most concert pictures look sort of the same and viewers accept strange colors and lock of focus.
#1 the backup guitarist is in focus but clipped off and the lead OOF and more prominent. Looks like missed focus.
Where he sits in the frame, his sharpness rteally emphasizes his subordinate relationshio to the singer.

L
Thanks for the feedback! Im not sure if your numbers are right, I got kinda confused :p This was my first gig shoot, and your critique gives me a good idea what to do and what not. Thanks!

Last edited:

L
You have two #4s. For the second one, did you mean #5?

#1 does look like misses focus. It's just a bit tight. Since the interaction with the audience is the main interest, too bad you have half of his right hand cut off.

#2 is definitely missed focus. the bass player is sharper than the lead singer. this is under and very flat.

#3 also too flat.

#4 doesn't need as much correction, focus is closer to being on, but the yellow skin tone is very unpleasing

#5 missed focus you really don't have enough DOF to get the singer and bass player in focus. it's so noisy because it's under

even if you don't want to do any color correction on 2-5, adjusting brightness and contrast would help. what are you shooting with, and what are your settings? are you doing any post?

#1 does look like misses focus. It's just a bit tight. Since the interaction with the audience is the main interest, too bad you have half of his right hand cut off.

#2 is definitely missed focus. the bass player is sharper than the lead singer. this is under and very flat.

#3 also too flat.

#4 doesn't need as much correction, focus is closer to being on, but the yellow skin tone is very unpleasing

#5 missed focus you really don't have enough DOF to get the singer and bass player in focus. it's so noisy because it's under

even if you don't want to do any color correction on 2-5, adjusting brightness and contrast would help. what are you shooting with, and what are your settings? are you doing any post?

I shot these with my old 550D and a f/1.8 50mm (and manual focus, since the AF is broken) using aperture priority. I did as little post as possible, because I don't want to get used to correcting every mistake and keep shooting badly. Thanks for the honest critique, it really helps!

EDIT: just found out that my screen settings are off, hence the unpleasing yellow skin tone!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back