old camera shutter speed

montresor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Recently acquired a Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 56/2 in perfect condition, but am not entirely certain about the shutter speed. My eye suggests its 1/50, or perhaps 1/25, but I have not been able to find any data about it. Anyone here with experience with this late 1940s/early 1950s high-end box camera?

Most likely it is 1 /50
the reason they used that speed it that it was the slowest that one could reasonably hand hold... it therefore gave the most exposure at a given aperture. Yes some IBT lenses had movable apertures.. But shoot some to be sure.

montresor said:
Recently acquired a Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 56/2 in perfect condition, but am not entirely certain about the shutter speed. My eye suggests its 1/50, or perhaps 1/25, but I have not been able to find any data about it. Anyone here with experience with this late 1940s/early 1950s high-end box camera?

Your Box Tengor (chrome trim, shutter lever on the right hand, flash contact on left) has a Frontar f/9 lens and as mysteryscribe said, the shutter speed should be at about 1/50th of a sec.

It was made between 1948-1956. Price wise, a collector would pay up to $60-75 but I've seen them on Ebay for considerably less.

Most reactions

Back