Old camera..

Tolyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was given an old camera today and to my surprise there is a roll of film in it. I've never seen film like this, it's got a paper backing, which I can plainly see as there's a view-hole in the camera back to show the little tag that says "Exposed"

Now, I'm not sure exactly how old this film is, but the camera is a Baldixette, which I'm also not sure of it's age as the person who gave it to me came into possession of it through finding it in a vacant house he bought to tear down. There's no books with it, and even if there were I'm guessing it'd all be in German.

My question is, how old can film get before you simply shouldn't even bother attempting to get it developed anymore. As far as I can tell it is C-41 colour negative, just with a paper backing, and it's quite large, being at least 2.5 inches wide.

That's about all the info I have

a pure guess is that it is 120 roll film there there was a larger one common as well. 120 is 2 3/8 inches wide on the spool. 116 is slightly over 2.5 inches wide. Most likely 120 film.

Color film deteriorates faster than black and white so I'd say you could have it done but the colors will be pretty unpredicatable. if there is any thing on it at all. It would be interesting from a sociological point of view if nothing else.

That's a roll of 120mm/2 ana quarter medium format film. Exposed film, if I remember correctly, if properly stored may retain an image for only few months (no longer than a year at best). I'd get it developed anyway ... as one of those devil-may-care, what-the-hell things ... you might get lucky and see Aunt Bertha watering her front yard flower bed.

Gary

Okay, so to take it out of the camera I roll it further past the spot that says "exposed" and just pop it out like normal film?

And yes, some quick research on the camera shows that it does indeed take 120 film. The camera is circa 1950, from everything I can determine. Not sure how old the film inside it is though, could be newer.

When you remove the film, replace the film spool with the empty spoor ... take the film to the drug store, buy another roll of film and load ... do not pass Go ... Do not collect $200.

Gary

When you remove the film, replace the film spool with the empty spoor ... take the film to the drug store, buy another roll of film and load ... do not pass Go ... Do not collect $200.

Gary

Drug store? I'll give you $500 if you can find a drug store that develops 120. :lmao:

I once took a roll of Ilford HP2, 120, to Walgreen's. They sent it out and I had back it in two days. Does that count as a drug store that processes 120? I could use a hundred bucks. :lol:

I bought a bakelite Kodak Brownie that still had a roll of 127 in it, really old stuff. I took it to the lab and it got sent someplace out west. Results came back about 3 months later. Wish I'd written down what film it was exactly. Here are the three pictures that came out. They strike me as achingly poignant. Where are these people now? They seem very poor, but happy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7491820@N07/518928119/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7491820@N07/518928123/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7491820@N07/518928125/

Eckards drugs here will do that in house as well. Actually they can print it but probably won't. All they have to do is take the film from the roll put it in the nortisu test canister and run it though the film developing machine. ACtually I think they have a dedicated `127 canister but probably don't realize what it is for.

anyway I have 120 or 127 done almost every day. they have an epson flat bed scanner so they could scan the negs and print it digitally. All you have to do is find someone who is a photo nut and works with a noritsu machine.

I presumed the film in the camera was b&w, which drug stores can't do in-house.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back