old cameras as an investment?

collect what you love. If you make money eventually great. If you dont, no regrets.

I think the only way you'd really make any money from the old cameras is if you learn how to restore and flip them. And yes, it depends on what you restore/collect. Some cameras will always carry a premium, but you have to know what they are.

... and even then you still don't make much money ... take it from me, I know.

I know, my boyfriend does this too.

Yep, if you know which ones to buy. That's the tricky part. Rare is usually a good feature. For example this should increase in value:

leica-swedish-army.jpg

And this should decrease in value:

CanonAE1claudio2.jpg

Joe
i wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way round actually.]

Yep, if you know which ones to buy. That's the tricky part. Rare is usually a good feature. For example this should increase in value:

leica-swedish-army.jpg

CanonAE1claudio2.jpg

Joe

I would be shocked.

The top camera is a 1956 Swedish Army special edition Leica III of which only 125 were made (extreme winterized version with ball-bearing shutter -- don't drool on your keyboard). One sold last year for $65,000.00. In 2009 a copy in like condition sold for $38,000.

A Canon AE-1 sells for under $50.00 at Goodwill: shopgoodwill.com - 19970123 - Canon AE-1 35mm SLR w 50mm f 1.8 Lens - 2 14 2015 6 02 00 PM

Joe

About the last thing i would do is buy a Leica for a investment.

leica-swedish-army.jpg

CanonAE1claudio2.jpg

Joe

I would be shocked.

The top camera is a 1956 Swedish Army special edition Leica III of which only 125 were made (extreme winterized version with ball-bearing shutter -- don't drool on your keyboard). One sold last year for $65,000.00. In 2009 a copy in like condition sold for $38,000.

A Canon AE-1 sells for under $50.00 at Goodwill: shopgoodwill.com - 19970123 - Canon AE-1 35mm SLR w 50mm f 1.8 Lens - 2 14 2015 6 02 00 PM

Joe
The leica will probably drop in value. The ae1 increase.

leica-swedish-army.jpg

CanonAE1claudio2.jpg

Joe

I would be shocked.

Joe
Mine is worth 3 times what I paid for it

leica-swedish-army.jpg

CanonAE1claudio2.jpg

Joe

I would be shocked.

Joe
It changes with generations. It is the generation that makes the prices. The younger up coming generation is about to discount your leica to no end. You should sell it now while the price is high.

leica-swedish-army.jpg

CanonAE1claudio2.jpg

Joe

I would be shocked.

Joe
It changes with generations. It is the generation that makes the prices. The younger up coming generation is about to discount your leica to no end. You should sell it now while the price is high.
No chance I have bought them for life and to use as much as possible

leica-swedish-army.jpg

CanonAE1claudio2.jpg

Joe

I would be shocked.

Joe
No chance I have bought them for life and to use as much as possible
collecting is weird. we have a large amount of brass, candle holders, ship lanterns, baseball cards. Hang on to for personal reasons. My old man started getting into it about 40 years ago. The peak for baseball cards was about fifteen years ago i would guess. High higher dollar ones seem to be maintaing, dropping a little not keep up with inflation. The lower dollars drop lower. They hit there peak. 10k collections fifteen years ago are being sold for 3k now. Different generation. what keeps up the prices at all is the generations passing on now. The ship lanterns and brass have kept along fine. But only amongst serious collectors. Who are becoming few and far between. If he/we were just in it for the money, we would have dumped it all about fifteen years back during the peak.. couple generations from now it may come back, you never know. This generation coming up doesnt really give a ratz azz though. Which is why i wouldnt invest in a leica.

My friend has over 1000 cameras, every M Leica and every R Leica, loads of Nikons, most cameras you can think of

My friend has over 1000 cameras, every M Leica and every R Leica, loads of Nikons, most cameras you can think of
collecting what you love if fun. Putting the money aside. I still love one of the old mans ship lanterns he bought years back even though the value dropped from 4k to like 3k. He bought it for 500 bucks so whatever....

Collection by longm1985, on Flickr

Here's my collection. I don't collect as an investment. I just collect what I like or has meaning to me.
give you fifty cents... sorry. i said prices have dropped and i am generation x so you know i don't give a .......

That might buy you the Graflex Graphic 35 that doesn't work... lol

Most reactions

Back