Old Canon Cameras?

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do y'all think about the old Canon Cameras? Around 1955 or so...
Can they use the normal roll of 35mm film that we buy today?

I was looking at the II-S2 model.
1955_2s_k.jpg

I found a mint one for sale and I was wondering if these would be (realisticly) usable still as a street photography camera...

Just wondering if any of y'all had any experience in this area, Thanks!

-Chris

Jeff Canes said:
they use normal 35mm and the old thread mound lenses

This is link to the canon museum
Yeah, I saw that link in your other post... That's where I got the idea. :wink:

I would like to know whether this would be a good camera for street photography though... since they are so old will it be more trouble then it's worth? Anything I should know about old cameras?

LittleMan said:
I would like to know whether this would be a good camera for street photography though... since they are so old will it be more trouble then it's worth? Anything I should know about old cameras?

It shouldn't be too much trouble, as there isn't really anything too complex to go wrong. A Leica camera much like that was used by Henri Cartier Bresson and much of his work was lightening quick street photography.

What he did was basically focus just shy of infinity set the camera to f8 and the appropriate speed for the light and shoot from the hip (not necessarily hip height!). This method is much faster than using an automatic camera, as there's no need to focus, adjust aperture or speed or anything, just point and click.

This website isn't a very good representation of his work, and it's mostly in French, but... http://www.henricartierbresson.org/

Good luck.

Rob

LittleMan said:
What do y'all think about the old Canon Cameras? Around 1955 or so...
Can they use the normal roll of 35mm film that we buy today?

I was looking at the II-S2 model.
1955_2s_k.jpg

I found a mint one for sale and I was wondering if these would be (realisticly) usable still as a street photography camera...

Just wondering if any of y'all had any experience in this area, Thanks!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

The Canon RF were considered a continuation of the Leica line. I would personally add that they were also a perfection of these Leicas as well. Very rugged, solidly built, a shutter that is better than a Leica (save for the IIIG and the M series) and lenses comparable, if not even slightly better, with the Leica lenses. I own two Canon RFs, the IIS and the SBIV and they are sweet! Cheaper than Leicas as well.

Now, for the street usage... They are heavier than today's cameras, so expect a little weight around your neck/shoulder. After all, they're all metal and glass, I mean 'real' metal and 'real' glass. :lol: However, if you get used to winding the film by twisting a knob, you should have no prob. using a Canon RF anywhere.

Watch out though for Russian copies, there are some made and out there for sale. Russians loved to copy Leicas but they also copied Canon RFs, Nicca RFs and so on.

Just out of curiosity, does the mint one you're looking at come with its side mounted flash?

Also... before I forget, make sure it comes with the original wind up film spool.

LittleMan said:
Thanks guys!
Oh, before I get it... How much do these in mint condition usually go for?

Between $200 and $300, depending on the mood and knowledge of the seller. :wink: That would be without lens. Add another $75 to $100 for a 50mm lens, $100 to $150 for a 135mm, $125-$175 for a 35mm. The lenses should be in mint condition, without cleaning marks, scratches, haze or lots of dust inside. Canon made better sealed lenses than Leica so you'll find them without as much dust inside. Finders for the 35, 90 (85) and 135mm lenses are also on the market and they would add another $50 a piece.

LittleMan said:
Thanks Mitica!
I'm definately going to buy it some time this weekend! :thumbup::D

You're quite welcome! Good luck and post some pics of it, will ya?...:wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back