Old Canon FTb help

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I've shot about 5 or 6 rolls of film with this camera and every single roll has come our blank. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

If they're totally blank you might have a problem with the shutter curtains (not opening) or with the mirror not flipping up, although that should leave some light marks on the negative.

I suggest taking the lens off from the camera and firing the shutter while looking at the camera from the front. That way you'll know whether it's the mirror or the shutter.

Ok I did but every thing seems to be fine. The mirror goes up and the curtian opens. Any other ideas of whats wrong?

Hmm... Have you loaded the films correctly into the camera? The older cameras need to be loaded differently than the newer ones, the film leader goes into a slot of the take-up spool. The film needs to be correctly engaged, otherwise it will never come out of its cartridge.

Also, were the films good? Were they exposed to light or heat by mistake? Those could be the only other things I can think of.

I have an FTb and it's got a funny kind of clamp mechanism for taking up the film, there's no slot in a spool. It's like a manual version of the automatic spooling in later cameras. Are you extending the film end all the way to the orange mark? It may not be taking up the film, for whatever reason. Mine works okay in that regard, but I could see where that device might be prone to age-related malfunction (like many of us old-timers!).

Most reactions

Back