Old Farm Photos

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by SlipKnot, Mar 6, 2009.

1. SlipKnot

SlipKnot TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm still new at all of this, but tell me what you think I'm open for CC

[​IMG]

This is the front porch of a cook's house from the early 1900's, I thought it was an interesting picture. I had originally finished it with a high contrast and sharpness and pushed it to the point of being very edgy. I wanted to print it that way and still may, but thought I would tone it back a notch here.

[​IMG]

This one is just random, some people like it, some don't... I'm in the middle on it.

2. Marc Kurth

Marc Kurth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These are the kind of images that I like. I assume that you left the shadow detail way dark intentionally to add to the old feel - or perhaps the mystery factor. I understand that approach and I respect that opinion.

However, my eye is begging for at least a hint of texture in the shadows in lieu of pure blocked up black. This would tie in into the tonality and textures found in the mid-tones and make the image feel more complete to me.

The other approach that occurs to me would be go 180 degrees in the other direction and print these like a pure Litho - remove all mid-tones and go for pure black and pure white - like an ink drawing.

Just a 2 cent opinion from an old film guy - in world where pennies are worthless.

Marc

Edit: I want to be clear that I really mean just a little texture/detail in the shadows - not fully "bright" because that would ruin the shadowy mood of the image.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  3. SlipKnot

SlipKnot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    here's the litho, pretty cool stuff...

[​IMG]

here's an attempt at more texture without loosing to much of the character of the original finish.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if I have more fun shooting or manipulating to be honest. This is all so much quicker than a dark room.

edit: this last one lost something in the upload the B/A comparison leaves out some finesse, maybe I need a lesson on file size management and forum posting....