old fashioned bridal portrait

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
as I play with my scanner I keep coming across things i had completely forgotten about of course. Here Is one I thought might interest someone... Though I have no idea why.
62zoqab.jpg

Very very simple lighting scheme.

This photo just reminds us how times have changed since then. How did they stand those boring still poses on a bride? Back in the day I'm sure it was the 'normal' way to go. I think some places may still offer those poses though ;).

Im sure they do... I would be one if I hadn't already closed my studio.. lol

Not so sure how much is boring as the photographers don't have studios and don't know how to do it if they did. Many more people with cameras these days.

If you dont offer something you cant possibly know if there is a market. Hard to say.

'If you dont offer something you cant possibly know if there is a market.'

Couldn't agree less!

There are hundreds of companies that fail because of exactly this.

A much better way is to ask your target market what 'they' want and then give them just that.

On the image, is that just lighting from one source top left of camera?

Would it be better to have some fill in under the arm to soften the shadows?

Like I said it was a simple lighting scheme that worked for me. As for the you don't know. Bad choice of words perhaps but hang a classic wedding portrait on the wall and have it as an option and just see what it does, if you can do one for whatever reason.

If not and the person want you as their photographer, they will take what you offer. So you have no idea what the market really would accept. The idea about 'couldn't do it' is not accurate that's why I said it was a bad choice of words.

It's more have no place to do it. I always use my son in law as my examples since we shoot so very differently. When he worked with me not more than five years ago at the end. What you see here is what we did. And we sold it five years ago, I have a hard time in believing there is no bride left in the whole of my area who would not accept this. Note I did not say all brides.

When he first went on his own, he did nothing but the funky outdoors or location bridal portrait. I even helped him build a studio, which he never quite got the hang of. He did some product shots in it, but never did more than a handfull of people and all of those with the light of his window.

So now it is five years later and he calls me on the phone. He has bought a bigger house and the little studio is gone. Suddenly he has a bride who has a ten thousand dollar itallian wedding gown. She absolutely refuses to step on the grass with it. I had that with five hundred dollar dresses by the way. So he found a studio space to rent for a day to shoot her photograph.

The only exception, not really according to him, in those five years more than a few have been reluctant to have the outdoor shots and gone to traditional studios for it.

Just as some brides don't find the ,often, poorly lit outdoor portraits a major problem, I never had a complaint about the 'harsh' shadow from an overhead light. Maybe we can all agree on the different strokes theory of photography. Likely it is more if the bride wants you, for whatever reason, she is more adaptable than we give them credit for being.

Or maybe I'm dead wrong, I admit that possibility.

As for the light it is mounted in the ceiling on a ball and socket. Could be possitioned any direction but usually aimed in that direction. I usually stood directly under it to keep my shadow out of the photograph. Remember in those days there was do it over on the spot. The bride would have had to do her hair and have the dress pressed again if I screwed up.

I like the idea of hanging it on the wall as an option and then actually having th ability to do the shot in studio is cool as well.

My point on this was just a marketing issue, it better to research your market rather than just offing what you 'think' it needs.

If your research tells you there is need for this style and its niche you just might find you can charge a little more for it.

If the bride pain $10,000 dollors for the dress just think how much she would pay for the pictures etc

Now the shot, much more interesting
Is that strange that no brides complained about the the shadows from studio lighting, do you think the would have if the shot was outside?

how would you feel about this shot if it was outside?

If I posted it would you suggest a little fill in or something?

Would this be done on the day of the wedding or before?

Sorry for all the questions MysteryS!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back