Old Film guy needs advice

Well I think we beat the money horse to death. For some people the pleasure of the hobby is more important than the cost.

To the OP if you're looking for film and want to good camera I would suggest you look at the Nikon F2 or maybe an F4 if you want more improvements. Good used bodies and good glass is there in abundance. Everything you listed would be covered by either of those. Yes Canon made the AE1 which is a fine camera. Minolta also had excellent bodies and lenses in their days as did Pentax.

If you're looking for medium format in film I would suggest looking at the Pentax 6 x 7. Medium format same controls as an SLR.

If you're looking to go digital then my suggestion would be to look at the various systems available and choose from there. Nikon and Canon have the most complete systems. Sony and Pentax while their systems are not as complete may meet your needs. It really comes down to a personal choice of what you feel you will use and will be comfortable with.

Just one more money reply. In 20 years my Large Format camera will have appreciated in value, whereas most digital cameras will be worthless junk if not sitting in a landfill.

Those autofocus plastic lenses will be worthless, my 1915 Goerz lens will be a priceless treasure.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

That's what they said about Beanie Babies.

For some people the pleasure of the hobby is more important than the cost.
^^^^^ This
I enjoy getting good gear ... how much it costs is a completely secondary concern, really. At least in relation to the fun I'm having. Obviously as a pure hobbyist I do have limited monetary ressources.

My AI-S 300mm f4.5 wasnt expensive, for example.

Just one more money reply. In 20 years my Large Format camera will have appreciated in value, whereas most digital cameras will be worthless junk if not sitting in a landfill.

Those autofocus plastic lenses will be worthless, my 1915 Goerz lens will be a priceless treasure.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
This is true of all electronics made today. In 20 years, I'll probably be pretty much worthless needing help with dressing myself.

Most reactions

Back