Old Film SLR

Newark is a BIG city. There are good and bad places. I still wouldn't hesitate to carry a camera unless you are heading into some of the "ghetto" areas of Newark and Paterson. If Newark just happens to be the location of your Hotel for easy access to NYC, I really doubt you have any problems.

You can be pick pocketed anywhere... even the quiet neighborhoods.

OT: Paterson (and Newark) were considered the "cradle of the American Industrial Revolution". I've gone into both places to see what is left of what made this country so strong in years past. If you stay a while to observe (take pictures) You can still hear and feel the machines turning... and the generators being powered by the water falls of Paterson.

Newark: I'll be staying in the mariott hotel at airport - Is that a good or bad place?

Anyway, I've decided not to take my digital SLR; however I will probably buy a film SLR in NY if I find a good deal. I decided to get a more practical modern SLR instead of an antique. They are faster and easier but are no more expensive.

Does a ZX-30 in mint condition (rating of 9/10 according to B&H) with a 28-80 for $119 sound like good deal or not? I'm not familiar with the usual prices in the states. It seems to be about $20 cheaper than what I would pay in Canada.

Everywhere has crime problems; they aren't confined to big cities...having said that the Pentax MX is a rugged, all-metal, reliable camera which was my first serious camera. Many are still going strong thirty years on. The only caveat with these older SLR's is to check that the light seals around the back door are sound; otherwise they are great workhorses which can produce great images.

Most reactions

Back