old flash gun on 20d

mfacer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mattfacer.com
Hey all.. I've got an old Pentax flash gun - about 10 or 15 years old now probably... Model number AF200S... I've tried it with my Canon 20d and nothing happens when it should flash... is there a setting on the camera, or should it automatically know there there is a gun on top... and if so, then is it not working due to the gun being too old for the camera?

Do you know the trigger voltage of the flash?

From this site http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html it's 7.65-7.72V...which is safe for the 20D (I think the 20D is rated at 250v)

It should fire, I use an old Braun flash on my 20D, but it's dedicated for Canon cameras.

Does the flash test fire? or still work on another camera?
Try putting your camera into manual mode.

I've got the same question again only this time the Flashgun in question is a Metz 45 CT-5...

Flash2.jpg

Flash1.jpg

Flash3.jpg

I checked the site that Mike posted and the final answer was 'your call', now i'm no expert on flash units yet so I need to know if 14.8V is safe to use on a 350D. I'm also not sure of where to plug the flash into the camera - is there a hotshoe adapter I might be able to get my hands on or something?

My next Dilemma is the battery pack...

battery.jpg

The batteries in the pack will no longer charge and i'm hoping they still make these battery packs - I bet they cost a fortune to buy - or if i should carefully dismantle the pack and replace the AA batteries that are in it?

Thoughts?

:p thread hijacker!

meh I've got no ideas about flashes, but I have a slightly old-ish flash gun for my old film canon. And it only works in manual mode on my dslr. So try the manual mode like mike suggested. It's really tricky to get the hang of at first, but you'll learn how the flash affects photos so much quicker this way.

Ian, you could take someone's eye out with that thing if you're not careful. hehehe (ahh yes I'm so funny. hehee)

I say dismantle the battery pack.

Xmetal,

It looks like that unit has a PC plug on it...I don't think the 350D has a PC input slot...they usually only put those on mid to higher level cameras. Yes you can get an adapter that fits into the hot shoe.

Check your camera specs. PC socket voltage should be listed. I know on the 20D it's 250 volts. I think most of the problems came about with the 10D, which had a PC socket rating of 10 or 12 volts.

As luck would have it I've found a hot-shoe adapter, only thing I need now is a working battery pack. I'm still a little bit worried about the flash gun (re: stun gun) cooking the internals of my camera. :???: I'm assuming the 350D is the same 250v as the 20D and the flash gun is rated to 14.8v so would it be safe to use?

I think I read that the 350D is also rated at 250v but check to make sure...if it is, then 14.8v should be just fine...it's well below 250v.

More set-backs: I've got 2 battery packs - one is a sealed tamper-proof unit that i've got charging up (crosses fingers and toes) and the other one holds 6 rechargeable batteries that you can take out but the flash gun won't power up with the un-sealed battery pack. :(

I'm praying the sealed unit works...or else i'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new pack. Metz Australia tells me they still make the B45 battery pack but didn't quote me a price.

OK I've managed to restore the battery packs and the flash turns on but it doesn't reach maximium charge enabling it to flash - even on AC power. :???: Any ideas anyone?

The capacitors in the flash might be buggered. It usually happens when they get older. You'll need to take it in somewhere for those to be replaced. I've got no idea how much that would cost.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back