Old Gella Bridge

puzzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been playing about with some old photos, since I haven't had a chance to shoot anything new recently.

I found this one I took with my little Nikon digicam a couple of years ago and thought it might look good in B & W. I used Wally's action with and without the sepia layer. Do you think it works? If you think it needs something else, could you let me have your ideas please? And let me know your favourite too! :)

Original colour:
25-7-04-014-GellaBrig1.jpg

B&W:
25-7-04-014-GellaBrig2.jpg

Sepia:
25-7-04-014-GellaBrig3.jpg

Thanks muchly for looking :sexywink:

i really like them, i would like to see more of the surroundings, i always check your posts now when i see your name, you live in such a beautiful place! i think putting the bridge in the context of its environment would make for a great shot too... :thumbup:

It's a tough one as there's little depth to the shot, when I first looked at the colour bridge I couldn't tell which was the near side and which was the far. The B&W has improved it significantly, but there's an awful lot of mid-range there and it's going to be tricky to up the contrast and maintain detail.

The sepia one probably wins for me though!

Rob

JTHphoto said:
i would like to see more of the surroundings, i think putting the bridge in the context of its environment would make for a great shot too

Mmm, I have something somewhere...The other ones I dug up from this trip are going to go in the Landscape gallery because they were views from the bridge. There is one I took of the bridge itself from the other side, which should show why I wasn't able to stand further back and get more in this shot :)

Here you go:
25-7-04-013-GellaBrig1.jpg

'New' Gella bridge, which takes the road, is the other side of this old one. It was just over my right shoulder when I took the main picture, and meant I only took pictures of the view on one side of the bridge!

Rob, that would also explain there not being much depth to the shot, the angle was pretty sharp. I never noticed about the funky perspective though! I played around with the levels and contrast inside the arch on the B&W version but couldn't be bothered on the Sepia :shock: so that may make the sepia work better.

I like the sepia version. It seems to stand out for me.
I agree...your country is beautiful.

the sephia is awsome, really like the look of that one

Oh. By the time I get round to opening this thread, there seems to be only the sepia version left, the other two are red x's for me. So I can't compare. Hmph.
Nevertheless, what I see appeals to me. :D

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate all the comments! :)

Chiller, wish it was 'my' country mate - I'm just an English transplant though!

Corinna, sorry you got X for the first two, not sure why? as they are all hosted at the same place :scratch: They are all showing for me at the moment anyway so i hope you'll give it another go :)

JonK said:
I like the BW best od these...you're losing a lot of shadow detail in the sepia version.
That makes me think... if you made it sepia through colorization and then lowering the hue, that might the reason for it being a bit dark. Same stuff always happens to me, so if that's what you did and if you weren't going for the dark effect (which i don't mind and rather like), i recommend you to use the sepia filter in PS.
But once again, i love the darkening.

Jon and Alex, thanks for your comments! The sepia version is the same comversion as the B&W (it's Wally's action btw), but for the B&W I spent some time masking back some detail under the arch of the bridge, but I didn't do this for the sepia version, I just left it as it was.

I had done a fairly heavy contrast adjustment to the colour version, before converting it - maybe I should convert first and then do the necessary adjustment. If I remember rightly, Wally's advice was to improve the original pic first because the conversion works on luminosity values, but if I'm honest I have no idea what that means!!

well, take the color and the sepia version. you see, the inside of the bridge is way darker with sepia. Once you definately convert it, the light and detail is lost and trying to lighten the area will simply make it gray or pale brown because the information about the detail is replaced by the info that the area is black. So yes, working on improving the original first is the way to go. Also, you can play a bit with the levels to lighten the shadows before converting the picture, that should avoid detail losses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back