Old Harbor and IJssel Lake in Holland (resized!)

Lyanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out with a friend of mine to shoot some photo's of the old harbor at the place she lives, Hoorn (little town in Holland, situated on the IJssel Lake). The day was drab and dreary, but I shot in black and white and some pics turned out half-decent. I think. Comments?

Old_Harbor.sized.jpg

Boats.sized.jpg

Lake_IJssel.sized.jpg

This one I shot in the train on the way back home. First time shooting people (I asked) and I was kind of nervous. The woman to the right had such a strong presence that I wanted to capture her. She told me she was a hatmaker...and the lady on the left (they didn't know eachother) needed hats for a ballet-performance. It was such a coincidence that I wanted to capture it. Don't know if it does anything for you...but I kind of like it.

Hat_Lady.sized.jpg

the composition of the first and third pictures are my favorite. It is hard to look at them as they are so large. I would really recommended sizing down future posts just a bit so they can been seen on one screen.

The dark dreariness worked out quite well with the b&w film. Color would have looked quite blah in this situation.

Now that I keep looking, perhaps the third is the best.

ow sorry about the size!! I sized them down already...to 1024 roughly. :(
I love the third one as well :)

the only one that was really an issue was #3, my favorite of course. I must say the more I look at #3 the more it grows on me... a sign of a really good shot!

Composition wise I think they are all fantastic. But they appear a bit muddy from a lack of contrast. Though that is easily fixed with a higher contrast print.

The last one is perfect the way it is :D Love that shot.

I agree with bogleric. They are a bit large. I would stick with under 800pix maximum width or height.

Hi Lyanna, nice work here! I just love the top image, composition-wise and the mood of the image itself - very striking. I would agree it's a little flat, but you're almost there. The sharpness of the the image is excellent. And the hat ladies image is a wonderful, wonderful capture - great shot! :D

I was hoping/praying all the time the big bird would remain in that position....and it did *g*

There's another one...now an overall shot. I wonder though if I should crop loads of the air above. Any tips?

Lake_IJssel_2.sized.jpg

First of all, thanks a LOT for your comments!

So.....you all think I should tinker around a little more with the contrast in for instance Photoshop? Wouldn't that make things too glaring? I'm a complete nitwit where it comes to contrast and brightness adjustments. Any tips?

Lyanna said:
First of all, thanks a LOT for your comments!

So.....you all think I should tinker around a little more with the contrast in for instance Photoshop? Wouldn't that make things too glaring? I'm a complete nitwit where it comes to contrast and brightness adjustments. Any tips?
When boosting the contrast you will lose a bit of shadow and highlight detail but it will really seperate the tones and make it pop. Right now everything is a bit flat and gray.

I wouldn't use the contrast/brightness setting. It's not very good. Create a curves adjustment layer (or just adjust the curves) and in the RGB channel make a shape of a slight S. I've been meaning to do a screenshot of an S curve so if you wait till this evening when I am at home, I will post one.

Lyanna said:
I was hoping/praying all the time the big bird would remain in that position....and it did *g*

There's another one...now an overall shot. I wonder though if I should crop loads of the air above. Any tips?

Lake_IJssel_2.sized.jpg

mmmm, I see what you're saying... that IS a lot of bare sky. Be careful if you decide to crop - you don't want to turn this fetching image into a horizontal split across the middle. Just keep your rule of thirds in mind and you should still have a winner. :D

Voodoocat....I think I know what you mean. I tried...these are the results (first attempt)

Old unaltered pic:
Lake_IJssel.sized.jpg

Altered with a curve layer:
Lake_IJssel_1.sized.jpg

It was very difficult not to loose the texture on the poles though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back