Old hippie - lubitel166b

walter23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
oldhippie.jpg

Unfortunatetly was cropped below his knees as it was my first roll of 120 film and I didn't advance it all the way to frame 1 - didn't understand the markings on the backing paper. Took it with my lubitel:

lomo-lubitel.jpg

I wouldn't sweat the crop too much on this one....it's a terrific street scene and you've captured a cool moment. :D I really like it.

Great looking old camera, too.....I've never heard of this one. Keep up the good work, though. :D

terri said:
Great looking old camera, too.....I've never heard of this one.

Lubitels aren't all that old, in fact you can purchase them new. The Lubitels are sort of the Holga of TLRs, although they don't have all the light leaks, and the lens may be a step up. Another fantastic plastic camera.

Your "Old Hippy" seems out of place in the urban enviorment. Not to mention the teenagers reaction to his presence; or the Honda Prelude or what ever behind him... I guess "bein' a hippy ain't what it used to be".

Good shot of the Lubitel; I think you have captured part of it's magic.

ksmattfish said:
terri said:

Lubitels aren't all that old, in fact you can purchase them new. The Lubitels are sort of the Holga of TLRs, although they don't have all the light leaks, and the lens may be a step up. Another fantastic plastic camera.

Thanks for that info, Matt....although you said the "H" word, damn you, now I just might have to check it out for real! :wink:

A hippy never looks out of place in the urban environment, Craig!! That's what those wide city sidewalks are for! :p

terri said:
ksmattfish said:
terri said:

Thanks for that info, Matt....although you said the "H" word, damn you, now I just might have to check it out for real!

You could try out the Lubi, and get used to a TLR, and then doesn't your hubby have a fancy TLR? :lol:

Great capture. Love the feeling of the photo.

ksmattfish said:
terri said:
ksmattfish said:
terri said:

Thanks for that info, Matt....although you said the "H" word, damn you, now I just might have to check it out for real!

You could try out the Lubi, and get used to a TLR, and then doesn't your hubby have a fancy TLR? :lol:

Why yes....yes, he does. :p It's a Roll....Rollei.....roll-something. :wink: Actually, I find TLR kind of limiting, and I find I get annoyed when trying to compose more often than not. I suppose that's my limited experience showing, though. :D

ksmattfish said:

Yeah, they are fantastic toys. They perform really well at f/11 or more and have a decent 3-element glass lens. There are a bunch of versions, starting from the 1940s or 1950s (lubitel and lubitel-2) up to the present day (lubitel 166U). I'm not sure they've been produced anytime after the mid 80s or maybe early 90s though. This one (lubitel 166B) was made around 1980. I acutally have two of them due to an e-bay misunderstanding, so I'm giving one away for christmas to my sister.

Why yes....yes, he does. :p It's a Roll....Rollei.....roll-something. :wink: Actually, I find TLR kind of limiting, and I find I get annoyed when trying to compose more often than not. I suppose that's my limited experience showing, though. :D

Hehe. I actually have one of those too, though until I find a lens cap and strap I'm not really using it except for very planned occasions... I mean, the thing was built during world war II! I can't just lug it around the way I do a $20 plastic toy camera, even though I didn't pay very much for it.

craig said:
I am proud to say that I have dropped a Rollei and it still has performed. Camera's are a lot more resilient then what we give them credit for.

That's true. The rolleiflex is built like a, errr, panzer. I took off the side panel once (thought the film sensor rollers were broken, they weren't), and I"ve never seen anything so well built.

Most reactions

Back