Old lens work on new Canon DSLR?

garrett269

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Will about a 10 year old lens that fits on a old Canon Film camera, work with a new Canon DSLR?

Assuming your old film camera is an FD lens, nope will not fit.

Assuming your old film camera is an EF lens, then yes.

perhaps the model of the film camera would help... or picture of the lens.

All Canon EF lenses sold since 1987 will work in full-automatic mode with any new Canon EOS camera, even the cheapest EOS Rebel XS.

I use some of my old specialty Olympus lenses on my digital canons - macro lenses, and fixed focal length WA lenses (frequently sharper than Canon lenses). In fact, because the EOS system has a shorter image plane to lens flange distance than most other SLR's you can use a lot of other lenses (Nikon, Pentax, Zeiss) and still focus to infinity!

There are lots of adaptors for many different lens mounts. Find out what kind of lens you have, and we can help you figure it out.

In fact, because the EOS system has a shorter image plane to lens flange distance than most other SLR's you can use a lot of other lenses (Nikon, Pentax, Zeiss) and still focus to infinity!

Yes but the OP specifically stated older Canon lens. As Battou stated post a picture of the lens mount. If you are certain it was purchased new in the 90s it is most likely an EF/EOS mount which will work with newer Canon DSLRs.

My understanding is that the FD film distance is shorter than the EF distance. This makes it difficult to adapt an FD lens to an EF/EOS body without loss of infinity focus. Adapters do exist but they include optics that in turn impact image quality (and magnification)... some of these adapter's optics are questionable in quality. Canon did make an EF to FD converter back when the FD/EOS system was first introduced. It was to help professionals bridge between the two systems during a migration to the newer mount/system. It was never available to the open public and very rare thus expensive.... now a days.. more of a collector's item.

Other lens mounts designed for other systems with a longer film plan distance than EOS/FD body can be adapted without optics but sometime mirror clearance is an issue.

Yes but the OP specifically stated older Canon lens. As Battou stated post a picture of the lens mount. If you are certain it was purchased new in the 90s it is most likely an EF/EOS mount which will work with newer Canon DSLRs.

My understanding is that the FD film distance is shorter than the EF distance. This makes it difficult to adapt an FD lens to an EF/EOS body without loss of infinity focus. Adapters do exist but they include optics that in turn impact image quality (and magnification)... some of these adapter's optics are questionable in quality. Canon did make an EF to FD converter back when the FD/EOS system was first introduced. It was to help professionals bridge between the two systems during a migration to the newer mount/system. It was never available to the open public and very rare thus expensive.... now a days.. more of a collector's item.

Other lens mounts designed for other systems with a longer film plan distance than EOS/FD body can be adapted without optics but sometime mirror clearance is an issue.

It was my understanding that the EOS line was never an FD at all, Any EOS is an EF mounting body. The FD series lens came to an end with athe T70 wich is not a member of the EOS lineup....but anyway. Usayit covered the converter perfectly. They are rare, and to put it bluntly not worth the time to find one. If in the event that it is an FD lens you would be better off phencing off the lens or buying a FD body to play with than you would be trying to get it on the dSLR.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back