Old Lens

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
Next time someone tells you that modern lenses are significantly superior to older lenses tell them them that is probably true of zoom lenses but not necessarily true of fixed lenses. This image was shot with a Nikon S2 rangefinder camera that was made in 1955. The 50mm Nikkor lens was designed in the late 1940's. I'm confident a modern 50 wouldn't do any better.

townsend.jpg

No, and YES!

No because with such a small image you can't tell anything. Also the rippled water, being of quite high acutance, would look good with any lens. Harking back to the earlier discussion, it's not just understanding your kit but understanding that the subject itself and the way it's lit plays a far greater part in how sharp your image looks than the glass itself. Better glass just performs better in more challenging lighting, whereas poor glass shows it's weakness. Understanding these limits is far more important in achieving sharp images than budget.

A big YES, because there are some true gems amongst the MF Nikkors. I only use MF Nikkors, every digital shot I've taken and posted here has been with MF Nikkor glass.

With a pure guess, I would say the 50/2 because in those days it was difficult to design fast lenses shorter than 55mm. A very good SLR lens available for a bargain price. I would encourage others to try some of these, exceptionally fine lenses that are not overpriced because of a 'rocky' review or f1.2-1.4 bragging rights:

Nikkor 50mm f1.4 - Anything from the S.C. onwards.

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5 P.C. - My favourite general purpose is the P.C. as it has better colour than the later K and AI, exceptionally flat field and no diffraction until f22. Though if you are looking for a lens specifically for close up try the 'compensating' version from the late 60's.

Nikkor 105mm f2.5 P.C. - The first multi-coated and a true legend, though the earlier Sonnars are still very capable with a touch more character.

Nikkor 135mm f2.8 Q.C. - A real tank and great performance for as little as £60.

Nikkor 200mm f4 AI - Less than £100? Cor blimey, ya' got to be mad gov'ner! I'll take 5.

Actually fast short lenses were not problem with rangefinder cameras. There was no need for retrofocus designs. I can't remember the maximum aperture of the lens since I sold the camera years ago. I've had Leica lenses from the 1930's capable of beautiful color rendition made when color film hadn't been invented yet. Good design is good design.

I got a AI 180 f2.8 in just today. Haven't tested it yet but I'm not worried. The 105 f2.5 was an amazing design. Only 4 elements made a well corrected and pin sharp product. I've owned three or four of them over the years.. I had a PC Nikkor in the old days as well. Since it was a preset lens I didn't use it for anything other than correcting distortion. It was fussier than necessary for me.

When I switched to digital I embraced zoom lenses for the first time and never looked back. The modern zooms are really quite good.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back