Old Lenses

Do you like old lenses?

• Yes

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
I like vintage lenses, I think they give photos a completely different look and feel than today's modern lenses. When I had the Sigma Mini Wide 28mm f/2.8 that was a fun lens to use and it did make for some interesting photos but in the end I got rid of it because I wasn't a HUGE fan of the 28mm focal length. I actually sold it for more than what I paid for it hehe.

Erwin-150908-5816.jpg

This is a loaded question for me as i both love and hate "old" lenses. Being a big time Nikon shooter "old" lenses make up a huge chunk of my collection because Nikon has never changed their F Bayonet mount so all my old lenses (some dating way back) mount right on to my D3300. Granted I must run in manual mode I don't mind that very much and great photos have been captured with them. Thus for nikon the adapter issue does not really crop up as it does for other brands.

On the flip side I went down the road of M42 lenses/adapters for a while and played around with lots of different things only to eventually dump most of the lenses in trades or sales. Used lenses are tempting as you can often get focal lengths you don't have for cheap and just adapt them. But you generally do this at some kind of cost (loss of infinity focus is common when adapting to nikon). Some old lenses or cheap lenses or strange lenses will produce cool effects and you may wish to keep them in your collection for that reason. You may also be able to get lenses that are otherwise not available for your camera by looking at other stuff and adapting it.

In the end of the day I have been honing down my lenses and trying to carry and use fewer.

Reagards
Dave

But you generally do this at some kind of cost (loss of infinity focus is common when adapting to nikon).

Yes. Nikon is a really poor choice for vintage glass. Mirrorless is really the best way to go.

Between the focus peaking and focus magnifier, it barely took any time to figure out how to use it. It's not that much different than autofocus, tbh.

Have do you have yours setup for this; curious?

Between the focus peaking and focus magnifier, it barely took any time to figure out how to use it. It's not that much different than autofocus, tbh.

Have do you have yours setup for this; curious?

I have Peaking Level-High, Peaking Color-Red, C2 set for Focus Magnifier and Focus Magnifying Time-No Limit. Were there any other settings you were curious about?

I like vintage lenses, I think they give photos a completely different look and feel than today's modern lenses. When I had the Sigma Mini Wide 28mm f/2.8 that was a fun lens to use and it did make for some interesting photos but in the end I got rid of it because I wasn't a HUGE fan of the 28mm focal length. I actually sold it for more than what I paid for it hehe.

Can you describe the completely different look that older lenses provide you? I've never seen such a thing in the Nikkor line.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back