Old Man of St Paul's

Black_Square

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum so hi!

Just finished editing this image. It was processed to have an oil painting look, whilst retaining the feel of a photograph.

Thanks for looking.

33380708641_010ef9ed7f_b.jpg

I really like the feel, the look and most of the processing. Two suggestions is to lighten up the face and beard just a smidgen, like a bit of dodging. I would center the face in the frame. Okay three ... I would raise the level of detail in the clothing under the chin and at the brim of the hat so that there is a slightly perceptible transition from dark to black.

But all those slight density recommendations may just be due to my monitor.

PS- Welcome to the forum. I want to see more of your images.

RIffing on Gary A/'s comments...this image appears just a little bit too dark on my iMac. I would also center the face a bit, and crop off about two fingers' width of the bottom of the frame, and wouldlighten or diodge the image a bit on the coat area, and brighten the image by 0.3 or 0.4 EV overall. The background wall? SUPERB!

Nothing to add, great portrait

I really like how you captured the real emotion (it's reflected in his eyes). But having it unbalanced to the left is distracting.

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

Welcome to the forum. What they ^^ said above. LOVE his expression. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work, too. :encouragement:

Thank you for the comments.

I have brightened the image slightly and also corrected the horizontal arrangement of the eyes. I have noticed that there is significant difference in image quality when viewing in IE. Microsoft really needs to get a grip with colour management. Best viewed in an alternative browser to IE:

33148997720_17f41a3e8b_b.jpg

Thanks

I prefer the new version. Given the skin tones the face was getting lost in the background a touch. The title is a reference to the subject matter and its location at the time - St Paul's, Bristol :)

Thanks for the comments. Just for fun here is a tight crop of the eye, in which you can see me (white trainers and jeans) :)

33405176301_48f93ede0c_o.jpg

Wonderful photo! Super sharp!!!

Welcome to TPF! :)

Very nice. If you don't mind my asking, what equipment?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back